SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Clive Cussler Passes at 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clive Cussler Passes at 88 Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted
He was one of my favorite authors of escapist action-adventure books. Many were based on a historical fact or theory and then twisted into a modern day fairy tale of sorts. At least two of his books have been made into movies (Raise the Titanic and Sahara), though both of those could have been much, much better if they'd stayed closer to the books.

He also spent a lot of time finding old shipwrecks, including the H.L. Hunley (the Confederate submarine) and collecting old cars.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cussler. You will be missed.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertai...llers-225640073.html

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
He was one of my favorites
Sahara was Totally miscast

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites. Sorry to hear of his passing.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have been doing his audio books for about 10 years now.

Sad news.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3483 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed his Dirk Pitt novels. RIP

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Always enjoyed his work and still have copies of his books on the shelf. Some of them get read again after a few passing years...

He was a smart, very unique individual...

Condolences to his family-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite authors. I wish I could have visited his museum outside of Denver when I was there last.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Dammit. RIP. My favorite “pulp/adventure” author. Seemed like a helluva guy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed his work. Always put some interesting history in his stories.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Bummer, I have been reading his books for decades. RIP Clive.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I will miss his cameo appearances, usually in the Duesenberg

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I loved Raise the Titanic! Made a huge impact on my impressionable young mind.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of his books got me through a big storm while climbing Denali.

Long live Dirk Pitt

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites, I have several of his books.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A few of his books on the shelf. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear this. One of my favorite authors. I have read dozens of his books.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never read his books but I know he had some really nice cars.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I used to read him a lot, before he sold his name to all his "co-authors"; then I kinda lost interest. Still somewhat sad to hear of his passing.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1MoreFord
posted Hide Post
W.E.B. Griffin, Tom Clancy, and now Clive Cussler. I'm running out of authors. RIP all.

Joe

Posts: 12 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: January 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post