SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tom Sizemore, actor, about to pass away
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Sizemore, actor, about to pass away Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
CBS reports that actor Tom Sizemore had a stroke and brain aneurysm and thus there is no hope for him. They are considering removing the life support equipment.

That's a shame, I always liked his acting and he seemed to be quite the decent man, as far as I know.

I can't imagine a family having to face this horrible situation and having to make the final decision to end human life. It happens every day, of course, but still my heart goes out to anyone in this situation.

Doctors have said there is "no further hope" that actor Tom Sizemore will recover after a brain aneurysm last week left him in critical condition, according to an update from his manager.

Sizemore had suddenly collapsed at home early last Saturday in Los Angeles, at around 2 a.m., according to the Associated Press. When he arrived at the hospital, doctors found that he had suffered from a brain aneurysm "that occurred as a result of a stroke," his manager Charles Lago said, telling the AP that at the time, it was "a wait and see situation."

In an update provided late Monday, Lago said that doctors have told Sizemore's family "that there is no further hope." They also recommended that they make an "end of life decision," he said.

"The family is now deciding end of life matters and a further statement will be issued on Wednesday," Lago said. "We are asking for privacy for his family during this difficult time and they wish to thank everyone for the hundreds of messages of support, and prayers that have been received. This has been a difficult time for them."

Brain aneurysms occur when a blood vessel within the organ bulges and can suddenly leak or rupture, causing blood to be released into the brain, according to the Mayo Clinic. Such medical situations can be life-threatening and require "prompt medical treatment," the organization said.

The 61-year-old actor, known for his roles as Sgt. Horvath in "Saving Private Ryan" and McKnight in "Black Hawk Down," has since been in "critical condition, in a coma and in intensive care," his manager said.

LINK TO STORY

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
He's fought drug addiction for a while now. Don't know if he ever got control of that. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a contributing factor.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Damn.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just catching wind of this. Holy crap!!! It would be a true shame if his drug and alcohol abuse was a contributing factor. The choices people make in life...... Frown Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Prayers up for him.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. Not to make light of the situation, but I always liked his characters because they always seemed they were on the verge of stroking out. They were always yelling and screaming and cussing and threatening everyone. Not many actors can say they took part in epic movie shootouts like the Heat bank robbery, the Black Hawk Down Mogadishu assault, both Saving Private Ryan's Omaha Beach AND Ramelle standoff, Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor bombing, and the True Romance Ambassador Hotel showdown.

Tom Sizemore appeared in my favorite New Year's movie that I watch every December, Kathryn Bigelow's Strange Days. Sure enough, at the end he's yelling and swearing and fighting and going berserk. I'll miss that guy.

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed his work but, his personal life sounds like a wreck. Unlike most celebrities, I don't think his personal issues migrated over to his work...perhaps he didn't get all the roles he hoped for but, don't recall ever hearing that he was a SOB on-set or, was difficult.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Enjoyed his work but, his personal life sounds like a wreck. Unlike most celebrities, I don't think his personal issues migrated over to his work...perhaps he didn't get all the roles he hoped for but, don't recall ever hearing that he was a SOB on-set or, was difficult.

The guy was a total wreck. I remember tons of shit the guy was accused of in the past- severe addictions to heroin, meth, and coke. He beat his wives and girlfriends, going to prison for that shit. His troubles with Heidi Fleiss, remember her? He lost millions on drugs, booze, and lawyers. He was great in Heat, Saving Private Ryan, True Romance. It is really too bad he got to this point.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

The guy was a total wreck. I remember tons of shit the guy was accused of in the past- severe addictions to heroin, meth, and coke. He beat his wives and girlfriends, going to prison for that shit. His troubles with Heidi Fleiss, remember her? He lost millions on drugs, booze, and lawyers. He was great in Heat, Saving Private Ryan, True Romance. It is really too bad he got to this point.

His trajectory sounds like a dirty/lesser Steve McQueen.
Most guys know them and their work, yet their personal lives were difficult and tempestuous. Only difference is McQueen made gobs of money which allowed him to pursue various motor sports, all which heightened his viability and popularity. Sizemore just poured his fortune into drugs and sleazy women.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Boxman in Flight of the Intruder, and Milo in Heart and Souls (w/Robert Downey Jr.). Two I enjoyed when I was a kid.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Frown

I was holding off in posting, hoping for a medical miracle but, as my Dad died of a similar condition, I wasn't overly confident in his chances.

Of the movies I saw him in, I liked and respected Tom Sizemore's acting work. I always got a kinda Michael Madsen vibe while watching him.

I first saw him in Flight of the Intruder and Point Break, but his best-remembered roles came later in Heat and Saving Private Ryan.

This is his IMDB bio:

Tom Sizemore Biography

quote:

Tom Sizemore rose in prominence throughout the 1990s, establishing himself as a memorable tough-guy actor, sought by the most respected directors in the business.

Thomas Edward Sizemore, Jr. was born in Detroit, Michigan, to Judith (Schannault), an ombudsman staff member, and Thomas Edward Sizemore, Sr., a lawyer and professor. Sizemore grew up idolizing the tough-guy characters of the movies he watched. After attending Wayne State University, he got his master's degree in theatre from Temple University in 1986.

Like many, he moved to New York City and struggled, waiting tables and performing in plays. His first break came when Oliver Stone cast him in a bit part in Born on the Fourth of July (1989). Bigger roles soon followed throughout the early 1990s, such as Guilty by Suspicion (1991), True Romance (1993), and Striking Distance (1993). 1994 proved to be an even bigger year for Sizemore, as he won the role of "Bat Masterson" in Kevin Costner's star-studded biopic Wyatt Earp (1994), as well as one of his first truly memorable roles as "Detective Jack Scagnetti" in Oliver Stone's controversial Natural Born Killers (1994). In 1995 he appeared in Devil in a Blue Dress (1995), Strange Days (1995), as well as the acclaimed crime epic Heat (1995), directed by Michael Mann. Sizemore's first big leading role is in The Relic (1997), the big-budget effects thriller directed by Peter Hyams.

According to a 2001 interview in The Calgary Sun, Sizemore entered a drug rehabilitation program in 1998 after his mother and his friend Robert De Niro appeared on his door-step during the filming of Witness to the Mob (1998). Telling him they were there to drive him to jail or to rehabilitation, Sizemore chose the latter. After completing rehabilitation, he counseled adolescents involved in substance abuse.

Offered roles in W.W.II films directed by both Terrence Malick and Steven Spielberg, Sizemore chose the role of "Sergeant Horvath" in Saving Private Ryan (1998). The role and film received wide acclaim and introduced Sizemore's talents to a much broader audience in a more human and well-rounded role than he had previously been given. Sizemore also credits this shoot and Steven Spielberg for helping him with his recovery from addiction, with Steven Spielberg threatening to reshoot the entire film if Sizemore failed a drug test even once.

After a flamboyant and uncredited mobster role in Enemy of the State (1998), Sizemore then portrayed a psychotic paramedic in Bringing Out the Dead (1999) directed by Martin Scorsese. Seemingly taking it easy, he then turned in fine but stereotypical performances in Play It to the Bone (1999), Red Planet (2000), and Pearl Harbor (2001). Sizemore then received another leading role in the high-profile military drama Black Hawk Down (2001) directed by yet another legendary director, Ridley Scott.

Specializing in the sort of ultimate tough-guy/manly man roles that hearken back to a different era in film, Sizemore continues to be a favourite of Hollywood's greatest directors. Never afraid to speak his mind about anyone and anything, his sense of blunt honesty and lack of pretension is refreshing. A commanding voice and presence on film, Sizemore looks to continue as one of Hollywood's greatest actors.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
RIP Boxman.

Sad to hear Frown

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought he nailed his characters in Heat, Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down. I'm surprised he's only 61. Back in the mid/late 90s I thought he was in his 40s. Superb supporting actor with some iconic lines.

"We're in business!!"

"For me, the action is the juice."

Maddox : Sir, they're going to get us fucking killed out there!

McKnight : Just get it over with!

Othic : There's a fucking rocket in him, sir!

McKnight : Othic, cool off! Goddamn it! There's live ordnance, now get out!

Posts: 829 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
RIP

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8534 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Glad the man’s torment is finally over.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. He played some very good roles over the years.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9370 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
May He be at Peace.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Wanted to like him from movies I liked all my life, some great ones. Reality is another thing. Either way he's done with it now.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6986 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Rest easy, Tom.

I enjoyed his roles. I read another article where he talked about getting sober and it sounds like he actually turned the corner there in 2021. Shame he didn't get there sooner, but I'm glad he did all the same. He looked really pale and sickly in one of the ones linked off Para's article. No more suffering.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post