SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Let’s build an “Epic Orchestral” playlist.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s build an “Epic Orchestral” playlist. Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I’m trying to build playlists for work of various genres I enjoy, such as metal, 90’s Country, 90’s Alternative, Piano, you know what I mean.

One of my absolute favorite styles is epic orchestral, often from movies (though not always), though I’m not a huge movie guy. So help me out I’ve got several in mind (from the likes of Gladistor, Pirates of the Caribbean, and LOTR) but I’ll start with this one, which I only discovered today.

Adagio in D Minor by John Murphy from the movie Sunshine (watching now for the first time).

https://youtu.be/NQXVzg2PiZw

Help me out and add your favorite! I’ll add some more later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
epic orchestral

I'd never heard of this genre before. Would the theme from Starman qualify?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Ravel orchestration of “Pictures at an Exhibition” (Modest Mussorgsky) has to be on the list.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.
When you want to serenade the children of the night!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I was just listening to The best of Hans Zimmer, live album by different orchestras that will fit your bill.

I'm also a fan of Eric Serra (Big Blue, 5th element, The professional, etc ).

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I love the soundtrack to the movie Trinity and Beyond. It is on amazon music but here is a good sample:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
This is a BIG question, so I'll try to be brief.

My ideas on "epic" symphonic works (often involving a chorus):

1. Orff- Carmina Burana
2. Mahler- Symphony no. 2: Resurrection
3. Mahler- Symphony no. 8: Symphony of A Thousand
4. Holst- The Planets (particularly Mars and Jupiter)
5. Beethoven- Symphony no. 9 (movement IV)
6. Verdi: Requiem (particularly "Dies Irae")
7. Stravinsky- The Rite of Spring

Film Scores:

8. Anything by John Williams
9. Hans Zimmer- Crimson Tide, The Rock, The Peacemaker, to name a few
10. Howard Shore- The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conan the Barbarian soundtrack.

"Anvil of Crom"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...DEAFtiUoq6TE&index=3

"RIDDLE OF STEEL / RIDERS OF DOOM"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFtiUoq6TE

"The Kitchen / The Orgy/ Attack"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWtnK_YeA4Q

"Battle of the Mounds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bh63oQKdus

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My favorite film musical score is “Ben Hur” from 1959.

For demonstrations of the bass in your speaker system, try Saint-Säens Symphony No. 3, has a marvelous organ climax.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Silverado and the Natural come to mind.

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
We need some Schubert. I'll propose the 9th Symphony but lots of his other stuff would do quite as well. Here's the last movement:

This symphony came within an inch of being lost. The manuscript was found in a pile of papers in the brother's Paris flat years after Franz's death.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
This is a BIG question, so I'll try to be brief.

My ideas on "epic" symphonic works (often involving a chorus):

1. Orff- Carmina Burana

4. Holst- The Planets (particularly Mars and Jupiter)

These and Also Sprach Zarathustra are what sprang immediately to mind.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
There you have Charlie Wilson´s War "Turning the Tide" theme. I particularly enjoy the "borrowed" excerpt with the north african percussion

https://youtu.be/ltszLxRWUSM

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post