SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Interesting find on Amazon Prime for boaters..."Travels by Narrowboat" Guy buys a 'narrowboat' and travels along England's canal system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting find on Amazon Prime for boaters..."Travels by Narrowboat" Guy buys a 'narrowboat' and travels along England's canal system Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Gonna be up front....low production values and kinda boring, but it's like a car wreck in slow motion.

1) The guy is on a 50something' long "narrowboat" which apparently was how the English moved goods before trains.

2) There is a pretty robust canal system in England! LOL And they have these long tunnels, which is pretty freaky.

3) Guy seems a bit flaky, so it might be interesting to see how he adjusts to this life. The canals look super rural for the most part.

Scenery is kinda repetitive, but still neat. I like the lock system they have. The lock keepers seem to live in a house right there on the canal (they seem pretty narrow) and come out to pass you through. That would be a pretty cool gig. Some of the locks are "self-serve".

So, maybe a good watch if your threshold for entertainment is as low as mine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well what's the name of the show? Am I to assume it's Narrowboat?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Oh crap....left that out! LOL

"Travels by Narrowboat"

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Watching it now.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Two months of traveling canals, he's used about 11 gallons of diesel. Eek

Wish the RV got that kind of mileage.

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Readers of C. S. Foresters Hornblower series will recall the start of "Hornblower and the Atropos" where the family goes to London by canal boat, and the good captain is asked to take over the tiller since the steersman is lacking a second hand for the horse team pulling it on the bank. For the time, a passage boat was a very fast and capacious means of long-range transportation, carrying several dozen passengers at nine miles per hour, with horses exchanged every half hour. As quick as a coach, but a much smoother ride, and cheaper on top.

Apparently steersmen had a trick of putting the bows on the bowwave before the planing effect was really understood. Of course in the tunnels, they had to lie down and move the boat by pushing off the walls with their legs while the horses were led around. After industrialization the trade quickly lost out to railroads though.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I have to say, this thing really captures the imagination. Had I seen this (or something like it) three years ago, my retirement could have been completely different. LOL

Oh, the speed limit nowadays is 4mph.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My wife discovered it a few months ago. I joined her halfway through and liked it so much I got caught up on the earlier episodes. From some of Kevin's comments I think there will be more.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
There's a guy on YouTube whose channel is called Cruising the Cut which documents his narrowboat journeys beginning with his first awareness of them, researching and buying one, and finally, his life and travels on his narrowboat. He posts new videos frequently and while some are repetitive, there are some really interesting ones in the series.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I like the details - working on the engine, fuel system.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
This guy doesn't do that much. I just finished season 3....when he does get away from the topic of his travels, it's about cooking.

Also, security has become a concern. A foot locker on his bow was broken into and he got jumped and beat up walking back to the boat on New Year's. There were also some comments (while going through Leeds I think) about "disenfranchised youths" hanging around locks and the fact no boats were present at moorings in the city despite very generous rules for their use.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Only watched first episode so maybe I'm wrong but apparently in the UK canals you keep your narrowboat on the right?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LOL I noticed that too. The guy has a FB page ("CountryHouseGent") and I asked why that was and they drive on the left. He said it just worked out that way.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
It would be fun to charter one of those for a week or two,of course with a captain. Wonder if something like that is available.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
It would be fun to charter one of those for a week or two,of course with a captain. Wonder if something like that is available.

I would imagine so.

For giggles, I emailed the Canal & River Trust....no formal training required. LOL

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
it doesn't always go well through the locks...
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Two months of traveling canals, he's used about 11 gallons of diesel.
40 gal tank.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm on season 4 now. He went through some "5 steps" lock. Crazy stuff. LOL I imagine you have to be pretty careful positioning your boat and tying off.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Also, security has become a concern. A foot locker on his bow was broken into and he got jumped and beat up walking back to the boat on New Year's.

I seem to recall in the first three seasons one or two times he stayed too long at the pub and was under the weather the next morning. He may have been an easy mark. I'll tell my wife there's a Season 4.

quote:
Originally posted by RogB:

Just stay away from Leeds.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
5 seasons on AP, haven't gone looking on YouTube yet. I am debating whether I want to go down the Cruising the Cut rabbit hole.

Skipton looks like a really cool town.

Seriously....had I come across this a few years back, I think I may have gone for it. That would have (barely) pre-dated my foray into NFA stuff, which would make the idea of heading to England a lot easier to think about. A nice narrowboat probably would have been somewhere around half what my RV cost.

Foreign, yet English-speaking country. Solitude when I want it, people when I feel like it. Lots of history, awesome scenery. Awesome beer. LOL

Still....I imagine even at a leisurely pace, 2,200 miles of canals/rivers wouldn't occupy THAT much time.