SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Has no one done a character analysis of Fletcher in "Outlaw Josey Wales"?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has no one done a character analysis of Fletcher in "Outlaw Josey Wales"? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
A truly great film, with many wonderful acts and interactions. I've searched the internet and haven't found any essays on the character Fletcher. There has been discussion of the impact on the actor and his career, but I find the back-story and depth to the character to be interesting and a significant contribution to the film.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't he Dean Wormer's great grand father ?

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
He was Harry Callahans boss, the Mayor of San Francisco

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That is my all-time favorite western, and one of the greatest movies ever made, IMO.

There is complexity there in the characters that hollywood is either utterly incapable, or (more likely) unwilling to replicate nowadays.

[Fletcher knows he's talking to Josey Wales]
Fletcher : I think I'll go down to Mexico to try to find him.

Josey Wales : And then?

Fletcher : He's got the first move. I owe him that. I think I'll try to tell him the war is over. What do you say, Mr. Wilson?

Josey Wales : I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

The Chief Dan George quotes alone are among the greatest in cinema.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Great flick and John Vernon had a good role. "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Vernon was in a lot of stuff and also did voice overs for video games and animated film. But I think his best role was Fletcher. You might check out a great movie he was in that you dont see very often: Charley Varrick.
Its a heist movie starring Walter Matthau.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son" Animal House.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Great character in a great movie. I never saw him as a bad guy, like the red legs were, but rather a conflicted character trying to sort through it all and mitigate the losses for his men as best possible.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
That is my all-time favorite western, and one of the greatest movies ever made, IMO.

There is complexity there in the characters that hollywood is either utterly incapable, or (more likely) unwilling to replicate nowadays.

Agreed, in general. Although, from time to time, I think "Unforgiven" is a better film. But I enjoy "Josey Wales" more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Great character in a great movie. I never saw him as a bad guy, like the red legs were, but rather a conflicted character trying to sort through it all and mitigate the losses for his men as best possible.

agree

------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Y'all talked me into watching the movie again this morning... with an eye on the Fletcher character... was quite interesting in the end for sure.

His 'logic' to not go back with the two rangers was that there was no way in hell 5 pistoleros could out do Josey Wales and so he was going to go down there and look for him... this of course while Josey stands at the bar watching them all and bleeding.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
this of course while Josey stands at the bar watching them all and bleeding.

And, all his guns were empty so he was, in fact, defenseless.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
John Vernon was definitely an accomplished actor. A few of his other films come-to-mind. Where he played opposite Lee Marvin in Walker. He was also cast as a syndicate front-man in Charly Varrick supporting Walter Matthau, Andy Robinson, and Joe Don Baker.
Fletcher: "Look at those boys over there: tied-down guns. Bounty hunters. Come out of a war, got no other way to make a livin’. Every last mother’s son of them wants that money you got on Wales’ head. Now, you and me didn’t ride all that way for that. I don’t want to hear Wales dead… I want to SEE Wales dead."

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Chief Dan George quotes alone are among the greatest in cinema.

My favorite: Chief Dan George to Clint Eastwood - "We are known as the Indians that are easy to sneak up on. White people have been sneaking up on us for years."

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That’s Andrew Robinson in the picture with Matthau...he was the bad guy in Dirty Harry.

This is John Vernon...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I watched it last week as well. It's a great movie with a lot of depth.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chief Dan George.” Now spit”. He got more out of those two words than actors today blabbering all through their movie.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I just saw Vernon last night in Brannigan on Amazon Prime.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
Satch, you got that right.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I too just watched this movie yet again in the last week or so; it’s among my 5 favorite Westerns.

Fletcher was, of course, double-crossed by the senator and had no idea that the plan was to murder the surrendering Confederate irregulars. I thought Fletcher’s motivation was pretty simple. He knew that from all appearances, he had a hand in the murder of his own troops. He knew he’d spend the rest of his life awaiting Wales’ return for revenge, “A man like Wales lives for the feud.” He goes on saying something like, “Because of what you did, I have to hunt Wales down…”

Josey Wales would have ultimately killed Fletcher, the senator, and as many of the soldiers involved in the murders as he could—no matter what the cost. So many great things about the movie and the characters in it, but that resolution scene at the end, really puts a bow on it.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post