SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars had such potential
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars had such potential Login/Join 
posted
https://youtu.be/NuNvCOUy1Ts

and

https://youtu.be/LbpDxrew4A0

Every single one of those trailers and story lines should have been a movie/tv series. The fight choreography, the storytelling, the raw emotion (with most of it done without saying more than a few words, if any at all). A video game studio hit the mark vs. Disney completely missing it with 9 figure budgets.

If you haven't seen these you're in for a real treat as they capture the essence of Star Wars. It's just a damn shame that we'll never see any of them produced at a level anywhere close to this.

Edited to fix the 2nd link.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hildur,

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I don't understand anything I just watched or read.

"The Old Republic"?

I've seen all the movies. I love the Clone Wars and Bad Batch cartoons. Never heard of this video/game, despite how apparently popular it is. I liked the videos. Really cool. Clueless though.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The on line game gave us the "Old Republic".....Disney and the Witch Kennedy gave us the "High Republic" with such glamorous characters as a rock named Geo and the ship called the Vessel. Yeah, I am not kidding.

My favorite trailer for the Old Republic was the Knights of the Eternal Empire with the twins....."Come with me, Son."

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I own the Old Republic games, but haven’t played them. It’s hard to go back to that era of gaming if you weren’t there in the first place. That said, the storylines of the Old Republic are more interesting than anything we’ve gotten arguably since the original trilogy. A war with a Sith army? A civil among the Jedi? Vitiate, Malgus, Revan… Nihilus? A Sith Lord who could consume all the life from an entire planet? All far more interesting and epic in scope than anything we’ve gotten from Disney.

New cinematic that came out four or five days ago:

https://youtu.be/G2j-fpQgGQM

This is a fan fiction of Nihilus. Can you imagine something with this tone and Disney money behind it?

https://youtu.be/7Fl48HXJhSg

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Old Republic is a MMO that's been around for about a decade. I'm currently playing it since a new expansion just released earlier this month.

Knights of the Old Republic is a single-player RPG that was released a couple years after the turn of the millennium.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^I can’t believe I have to pick between Hydraulic Overide, Responsive Safeguards, and Electro Dart. Yet another merc nerf.

Posts: 11608 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have a lvl 70 Merc but am busy playing my Sith Sorcerer. Force lightning skills are so satisfying.

My Merc:

My Sorcerer:

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I mean Disney is bad as in ugly girl bad. Basically falling out of the tree and hitting every single branch on the way down bad.

The writing is shit, the actors they chose for the films (outside of Daisy Ridley) aren’t too hot, it’s ridiculous, all of it. Adam Driver for the new wannabe Vader? “Grandfather I will make you proud of me”. That’s all they got? Oh we’ll make Luke a big pussy, kill Han Solo, I mean geez. Driver for me was a horrible cast for that role and the character is so stupid too. He puts on a mask for show? Vader needed the thing to breathe. It’s all just horrifyingly bad. The stories are just lame. Abrams to me was never a good fit to be in charge of it. Kennedy is a got damn loon. Even Favreau, who I’ve been a fan of for a long time. I question his writing. It’s lame. Favreau is just not a Star Wars nerd. Should have hired Kevin Smith. Someone who’d take the thing like someone at the Olympics taking the torch. And bear the responsibility of it, and do it justice.

The problem with making quality film, is you need a director with a passion for the work. You need actors who are passionate to work on the project. You must have excellent writing, the dialogue and the story. Disney has no passion. They buy things and just try to squeeze the tits out of anything they buy. Like Luke milking tattays out of animals on his little hideaway pussy planet. So Disney has zero passion for the work. The other main problem with them is since they are financially focused above all else, they want to make common denominator stories. Shit they can play in China with subtitles or voice overs. That kind of shit doesn’t make good film. Any studio would have to want to make $ and want to make quality, dare I should say, legendary films. If that means you take a small hit on the numbers, do it. Disney did it Disney’s way, and cost themselves even more money to the point of company embarassment. I mean you couldn’t make this shit up, literally, how bad it’s been handled. Disney’s shit makes George’s prequels look like Oscar winners. I mean George casted some really fine actors. Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, even mother fucker mother fucker Samuel L. Jackson. He fucked up with that Hayden Christensen whiny bitch, big time, but Disney, in contrast, fucks the whole cast up sans one. George fucks up one role, Disney fucks it all up but one. At least George’s stories were better, even the prequels.

Most of Disney’s marvel films are big meh too. Lowest common denominator. Dumb stories. Too scared to be edgy and try to push it and make a great film. Only a few of those have been solid films on their own, I mean stand alone. Now Disney is busy milking those tits via series after series of bullshit they want you to keep up with and tie into whatever new fester fuck film they make. They are the worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars. Got damn travesty.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12929 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The Old Republic is a MMO that's been around for about a decade. I'm currently playing it since a new expansion just released earlier this month.

Knights of the Old Republic is a single-player RPG that was released a couple years after the turn of the millennium.

Ah, yes. Fair. I have TOR as well, just never actually created an account and fired it up. Need to do that. I guess my point is that all the videos game Old Republic era content is better than Disney anyhow.

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the science fiction classics from this era are products of the Cold War. Without the pressure of the Cold War, the quality of the productions would naturally fall.

The solution is to hand the franchise to a Cold Warrior.

What ever happened to the group who made Rogue One? Those people should be put to work.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post