SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Streaming Peacock TV free
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streaming Peacock TV free Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I've been constantly on the hunt for different streaming services since I cut the cord. In my latest search, though I'll admit that I'd rather skip the services that have ads, I found this one a bit more palatable. The many different movies and TV shows are fairly extensive and the way that they do it is you'll watch the ads before the show or movie then watch the presentation in it's entirety commercial free.

In addition, they have a small stopwatch icon in the lower left on the screen that counts down the seconds of the ads. This at least gives you option to mute the ads until the presentation starts. A nice feature that makes it more bearable instead of the annoying commercial interruptions.

Now, if I can get one of those newer Apple TV remotes that comes with a mute button so I don't have to mess with the vol-up/down button as often Smile

I also use IMDb free TV once in awhile but the ads interrupt the normal presentations.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're still looking for something, or some things, to fill in after having dropped Amazon Prime. Tried Britbox. Subtitles don't follow the Apple TV settings and were unreadable. Dumped it. Tried Acorn TV. Couldn't find much to watch. Dumped it.

I keep suggesting HBO Max, but my wife is balking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
NBC? Not a chance. I'd sooner drink battery acid.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Another option with ads is the Roku Channel. We have the higher tiered stick version on a bedroom TV. We don't watch it often, but the free (ad supported) content was impressive. The remote it has controls TV volume.

You can check it out online via computer I think.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
NBC? Not a chance. I'd sooner drink battery acid.

Agree. For many of the same reasons I've dumped Netflix, HULU, PHILO, CBS All Access, Disney, and thinking of letting Amazon Prime go also. I chose Peacock this week to watch Manifest and Debris for the Sci-fi and an odd movie or show. I'm open and looking for suggestions on streaming programs that I like the programming without the agenda driven garbage but so far I haven't found it. Maybe never will because who owns and operates the programming.

A shame really because I'm mostly homebound and besides the computer, reading a book, or simple home tasks, watching TV is entertainment. I thought by switching from AT&T and cutting the cord I could choose better options and pricing but, I'm weeding thru the different options and not completely satisfied yet. Looks like it's going to take a lot more time.

The main thing I liked was the way Peacock set the commercials up being up front of the presentations. I dumped CBS All Access in a heartbeat because of the content. I'm still searching. Thankfully most of the streaming content you can try free on a trial basis and choose.

It seems that I will have to put up with some of the unlikable content to get the shows I enjoy. Hopefully I'll find a better option along the way that somebody may suggest. I'm open and searching but optimism is weaning.

I had to cut costs and/or services. Since the only thing I watch and like is a few shows, I thought it was going to be easy but there's a lot of programming to weed thru.

The main positive so far is that I don't pay the $185-190 a month. I don't watch sports and news anymore, so I'm open to suggestions? I'm still hunting.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish there some way of getting METV on my ROKU box.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
I wish there some way of getting METV on my ROKU box.

Agree. I really miss watching Svengoolie on Saturday night since we ditched cable. It's available over the air, but it's hit or miss if I can get a clean signal.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Agree. For many of the same reasons I've dumped Netflix, HULU, PHILO, CBS All Access, Disney, and thinking of letting Amazon Prime go also.

We dropped Amazon Prime, not because of its content, but because Amazon threw Parler off its AWS hosting service. I regard that as a blatant suppression of free speech. That's the same reason we will not be subscribing to Apple TV+ when the free subscription runs out.

quote:
It seems that I will have to put up with some of the unlikable content to get the shows I enjoy.

If they have content you don't like, don't watch it? That's always worked for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We finally decided to give HBO Max a go. Looks like there's plenty of content to keep us amused for quite a while. So our current subs are that, NetFlix, PBS Passport, and OAN.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that I will have to put up with some of the unlikable content to get the shows I enjoy.

If they have content you don't like, don't watch it? That's always worked for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The content I was referring to was the commercial breaks that will not allow you to fast forward thru. So I just turn the volume down. Thus my comment about the new Apple TV remote that comes with a mute button so you don't have to push the up/down volume button. Sadly, there are some pretty good movies that have these commercial breaks and previews of upcoming stuff. Thats what makes it free so it's part of the deal, I understand that.

Additionally, last night my TV died. It gave many years of good service. It was a Sharp Aquos and I'm in the hunt now for a replacement.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Well, the old news is that I purchased the new Samsung QN43Q60AAFXZA a Qled 2021 model. Im limited to the 43" because its mounted to a wall pull-out bracket. I had to learn about VESA standards for the 200x200 screw pattern for the existing wall mount bracket, then certain screws you have to purchase separately as they're not included. M8 with a 11-13mm depth...sheesh, I was all over the internet finding info and calling Samsung customer service for info to get everything right the first time.

It looks to be a nice TV. Additionally what initially started me using the free Peacock for the Manifest and Debris Sy-Fi fix was my TABLO OTA DVR took a dive after a power related interruption. I could no longer record these shows commercial free. When the power restored the TABLO would not reset. I called TABLO customer service and spent a good bit of time following all the reset protocols, disconnect power, blue button reset on the back. Disconnected all cords and reinstalled..nadda. I now have to connect the TABLO directly to my router via ethernet and try a factory reset.

Hopefully I can get it working in time for the Samsung install.

I'm still looking at differing streaming prospects as new ones are being added it seems more often lately, as well as small price increases for monthly subscriptions. Still way below the $185 I used to pay monthly to AT&T. My current streaming charges are just around $100mo with the $75 included for AT&T internet access.

Looking forward to the Samsung. This new model is pencil thin even compared to the same model from last year and has a solar charged remote or usb instead of battery powered. Though I did purchase the new Apple TV remote that is upgraded with a mute button so I can at least hit that instead of the vol up/down on the existing Apple remote for those pesky commercials on free streaming TV services.

I'm curious to view the 4k content with the new Samsung. I do also use the APPLE TV 4k so that should be interesting to see any differences. I upgraded from the Apple TV 4th gen.

Regards, Will G.