SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Thief
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thief Login/Join 
posted
Just caught the great finish of one of my favorite films. It's got a young James Caan, a custom 1911, Tuesday Weld (pant, pant), Willie Nelson, Jim Belushi and a Cadillac Eldorado. What's not to like? Terrific classic.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Directed by Michael Mann.

Tangerine Dream music score if I'm not mistaken.

Used to own the vinyl album ages ago.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
It isn’t a custom 1911, Caan’s character carried a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Great frickin movie! And I love the TD soundtrack.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
It isn’t a custom 1911, Caan’s character carried a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup.

Probably right but at one point it looked like a fixed aftermarket combat rear sight and not an adjustable Gold Cup rear sight

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Actually, there were three different 1911s in the film.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Thie...tom_Jim_Hoag_M1911A1

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well, how about that? In my defense it has been many years since I’ve seen the movie. Half right is better than being all wrong, I suppose.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I read a story that James Caan approached Gunsite for some firearms training for the film, but the Col. said no. He apparently stated that a convicted felon (Caan's character) would not be allowed to train at Gunsite.

I believe that Caan then did some training with Chuck Taylor, a former Gunsite Ops Manager.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Michael Mann insisted that Caan get some advanced firearms training so he would know what he was doing and make his character more authentic.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I wear $150 slacks, I wear silk shirts, I wear $800 suits, I wear a gold watch, I wear a perfect, D-flawless three carat ring. I change cars like other guys change their fucking shoes. I'm a thief. I've been in prison, all right?

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I love Michael Mann's films!!

Thief is a great example with Tangerine Dream in the background the night time scene cinematography. So good!

Somewhere in my dads record collection is a Thief vinyl record soundtrack that we won along with tickets to see the movie opening weekend here in Houston, from a radio station IIRC.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well, how about that? In my defense it has been many years since I’ve seen the movie. Half right is better than being all wrong, I suppose.

James Hoag did some great work on both pistols and revolvers over the years, starting in the mid-1970's. He wasn't in the best health when I last saw him (about three years ago), but I knew that whatever work he'd do would be first class. Definitely an icon of the era!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Just caught the great finish of one of my favorite films. It's got a young James Caan, a custom 1911, Tuesday Weld (pant, pant), Willie Nelson, Jim Belushi and a Cadillac Eldorado. What's not to like? Terrific classic.

The scene with Caan crusing Chicagos bars in the Eldorado combined with the Mighty Joe Young band cranking out Turning Point was one of my favorites in the movie and according to a band member Tom Giblin was written into the film during recording.

His comments below:

I played organ in the band. This was a two day movie shoot in the spring of 80. It was filmed next door to the Wise Fools Pub. That was Joes home club. Michael Mann and Tuesday Weld came in during the filming of "THEIF", liked the band and wrote us into movie. To this day I still receive royalty checks! I miss Joe Young and owe him so much for starting my career up. R.I.P. Tom Giblin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmRxiA1ryE

If you like the song without the trailer, here's a link to an 11 min recorded live version..

Turning Point Video

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post