SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A whole day of...Westerns? On TCM??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A whole day of...Westerns? On TCM?? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Oh, sure, they air Westerns. Usually, on the weekends, rarely in prime time. Well, this month, TCM is doing their annual Summer Under the Stars, which features a different actor's work each day of the month. Like all their other annual stuff- 31 Days of Oscar ( Roll Eyes ) , etc, it's lazy programming, and I find all of it annoying. Just play the damn movies in your damn library, ya twits.

Today's featured "star" is Randolph Scott. It's quite surprising the totally woke, ultra-PC, haters of the patriarchy, who now make up TCM and its parent company would feature Scott, since the majority of his films were Westerns.

A whole day of Randolph Scott Westerns. Somebody fucked up. Razz

Lots of good stuff, and in prime time tonight, there are two Scott Westerns directed by Budd Boetticher - Ride Lonesome and Buchanan Rides Alone, which is a real favorite of mine. In Buchanan, look for the scene near the beginning of the film where Scott is in a saloon and says "This sure is a ten dollar town." Slipped it past the censors they did. Wink

The Boetticher/Scott Westerns of the 1950s represent a bright spot in the genre.

There are also two Scott Westerns directed by Andre de Toth- Carson City and Thunder Over the Plains.

At 11 PM Eastern is One of the finest Westerns ever- Sam Peckinpah's Ride the High Country

So, saddle up, buckaroos! We've got some ridin' and ropin' to do!

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I nearly bailed entirely on TCM in June when they did "Follow the Thread". An endless yak fest on fashion in film. A one time special on the topic would have fine, but not day after day. Seems to be an increasing number odd foreign films, too. Most of which I have zero interest in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the foreign films are good such as Breathless and a film from Argentina called The Bitter Stems which in my opinion is one of the best Film Noirs I have seen.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the heads-up!

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You bet, partner! Get yourself some grub and coffee from the chuck wagon and we'll be headin' out here afore too long.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The film playing now, Colt .45 is about Colt's pistols, but the pistols in question are First or Second Model Dragoons, which are .44 caliber percussion revolvers.

The revolvers shown in this 1950 film- they're not going to be replicas. Val Forgett didn't found Navy Arms until 1957 and Uberti and Pietta didn't start cranking out replicas until a couple of years after that.

That brace of Colt revolvers- rented no doubt from some place like Stembridge Gun Rentals- would be worth a fortune today.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The plot synopsis for Shootout at Medicine Bend looks interesting too; have you ever seen that one, para?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen that one, no.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

A whole day of Randolph Scott Westerns. Somebody fucked up. Razz

So, saddle up, buckaroos! We've got some ridin' and ropin' to do!

Whenever I hear his name it reminds me of a Blazing Saddles scene where Sheriff Bart asks for more time, invoking Randolph Scotts name...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ride Lonesome

I like Ride Lonesome as well. It was the film debut of James Coburn.

As an aside if you watch Lawman Season 4 Episode 31 "Sunday" a lot of dialog from Ride Lonesome is there.

As far as Buchanan Rides Alone, I thought there was a history between Craig Stevens' character Abe Carbo and Buchanan. But there was not.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One my favorites from Scott is A Lawless Street.
With Angela Lansbury and Michael Pate.
Pate had quite a career, mostly playing bad guys. 173 credits on IMDB.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just finished Carson City. Kinda neat seeing all those 1875 Remingtons, they pretty much disappeared from Westerns in favor of various Colt models.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you get GRIT, you have seen his westerns many times. Jerry Skinner does a nice life history of Randolph Scott.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As posted above, I get GRIT and they show a lot of Randolph's films, as well as many, many other westerns. It has become a favorite channel for me lately. Last night was one with Smiley Burnett singing a couple of tunes. Had to be from the late '40s.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have DirecTV and it appears GRIT is not available for me. We do, however, have the INSP channel, which airs Wesstern TV shows and films almost exclusively.

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I have DirecTV and it appears GRIT is not available for me. We do, however, have the INSP channel, which airs Wesstern TV shows and films almost exclusively.

We get Grit TV from a digital OTA (over the air) signal. Here in southern CO, it is part of the NBC affiliate. So, we get NBC on 5.1, and Grit is on 5.3.

If you get local channels OTA, you may need to rescan your TV channels to see if it pops up.

I have been enjoying the old westerns that Grit has been playing.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grit did an Audie Murphy day , a few weeks back.

I watched a portion of most of them.

it sure seems like his run of films had a very
decisive cookie cutter paradigm about them.

after the fifth one
I could pretty much predict scene for scene what will take place in the next scene

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54635 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
GRIT is available on Dish Network channel 217, DirectTV Stream channel 81 and AT&T U-verse channel 71.

GRIT is headquartered in Atlanta, GA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi bendable,
Check out "No Name on the Bullet"; definitely not a cookie cutter Murphy film.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post