Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nintendo Switch Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Anyone have a Switch? Is the OLED model worth the extra cost? I’m mostly wanting one for the Zelda games and possibly Kart. Haven’t kept up with what’s available for it.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My kids have the basic model & both enjoy it.
Haven't seen the OLED model in person, and not sure if it makes any difference when connected to a TV.

Image quality on my 65" Samsung is pretty good on the games they have.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
We have a standard switch and one if the lites. A few notes:
- OLED isn’t worth it unless you play mobile a bunch
- A switch is absolutely worth it, if even only for Zelda and Mario Kart
- Nintendo brand Pro Controllers are light-years beyond the other brands as far as quality is concerned
- My daughter loves Animal Crossing
- My kids have been playing some kids of sports game lately that includes a volleyball mode and it looks super fun

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Regarding the display quality, I really don’t know if I’d play more mobile or docked to the TV. I read that storage on the OLED is increased over the base model. I’m not one to keep 20 games installed at once. Maybe 2-3 tops cause I’ll start a game like Zelda and take 6-8 months to finish it, so is the increased storage worth it?

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Both my kids love theirs. And both are waiting for the next Zelda game to drop.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Regarding the display quality, I really don’t know if I’d play more mobile or docked to the TV. I read that storage on the OLED is increased over the base model. I’m not one to keep 20 games installed at once. Maybe 2-3 tops cause I’ll start a game like Zelda and take 6-8 months to finish it, so is the increased storage worth it?

Only if the cost to buy the more expensive unit is less than the cost of a cheap 128GB or 256GB SD card.

I think I got a 256GB SD card for our switch for pretty cheap and we haven't even used half of it yet.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Also for some of old school types, you can buy the games the old fashion way: on their own SD card.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Got a Switch and Zelda on the first day they came out. BotW is worth the price of admission if it is the only game you buy.

If you think you may decide to sell the Switch later, the OLED should be the way to go.

Other games can be had because it isn't region coded and you get to play all the neat games from Germany and Japan. Wink

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the extra $50 I thought the OLED model was worth it. Since getting the OLED we have also added a standard model and Lite to the stable, and having all 3 I would spend the extra again. I’ve played Mario Kart since it came out on the SNES, and having three tablets with three copies makes Multiplayer very fun…we each have our own screen!

You won’t be disappointed!

Posts: 671 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
For the extra $50 I thought the OLED model was worth it. Since getting the OLED we have also added a standard model and Lite to the stable, and having all 3 I would spend the extra again. I’ve played Mario Kart since it came out on the SNES, and having three tablets with three copies makes Multiplayer very fun…we each have our own screen!

You won’t be disappointed!

Wish there was a way around needing a separate copy to multiplayer on 2 devices.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post