SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Don't Look Up: Climate change activism.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't Look Up: Climate change activism. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
On Netflix, little surprise. I watched it because the little trailer looked interesting, but it's incredibly ham-fisted allegory for climate change "we're all gonna die, why won't anyone listen? We could save the world if everyone took us seriously and acted NOW." DiCaprio is in one of the lead roles, so I shouldn't have been surprised. It's got some funny moments, I did laugh here and there. The imagery of a planet-killer comet hitting the Earth was unsettling, and well done, but the whole film was laden with dripping disdain for conservativism and cheap shots. Give it a miss if this sort of thing pisses you off. Fair warning.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Since the subject of politics has been offered up already I'd like to add it isn't difficult to separate politics from science. Two simple rules. 1. The Popper Rule. All scientists must remain skeptical. 2. The Iron Rule. All disputes in science must be solve with more data, observation, and experiment.

The instant concepts like consensus, tipping points, and we're all going to die this is politically generated propaganda.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Since the subject of politics has been offered up already I'd like to add...

In fairness, politics is the entire movie. That, and how science is used or not used to politicians when it suits them, which... is unintentionally ironic in itself. The term "peer reviewed" get thrown around a lot in the last third of the film, and the way it's used it also unintentionally ironic.

I agree with the rest of your post as well.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie as a satire on the whole politics issue.

Science, capitalism, nepotism, hair sniffing, polls, etc. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The imagery of a planet-killer comet hitting the Earth was unsettling

Sounds very much like reading 'Lucifer's Hammer' by Larry Niven and and the late Jerry Pournelle. Since this flick is on Netflix, I won't be watching; I'm way too much of cheap-ass, "right wing nut job" to want to pay for a lefty prog tripe Hollywood dogma brainsmearing vehicle. Or some notion akin to that.

-MG

Posts: 2014 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mostly enjoyed the movie as deeply satyrical, cynical, and depressing. Politics deeply lambasted on all sides. Worth watching, but far from perfect and it defintely could have been shortened by a good 20 minutes. It was moderately entertaining.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I saw the movie as a satire on the whole politics issue.

Science, capitalism, nepotism, hair sniffing, polls, etc. Wink

Watching it for some simple no-brainer humor realized there would likely be folks from all sides offended by it. Seemed to be an equal opportunity insulter.

Agreed that it had a few funny moments. I thought the message of social media and influencers being more important that clear facts was pretty funny, and sad.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Horrible movie. Almost retched listening to the song by the young lady. Lots of actors hamming it up. A waste of my time.

Posts: 5698 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If we are all going to die, and a comet is going to hit us.....as soon as I'm notified I'm driving briskly up to the Whole Paycheck they put in not a mile from my house and fuck shit up.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12654 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I mostly enjoyed the movie as deeply satyrical, cynical, and depressing. Politics deeply lambasted on all sides. Worth watching, but far from perfect and it defintely could have been shortened by a good 20 minutes. It was moderately entertaining.

+1 couldn’t have said it better.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Didn’t our friends in Hawaii all get a warning about a ballistic missile launch and imminent strike a year or so ago? I remember it freaked the hell out of a few people on the island. Man I wish I had been there to experience that. I bet it was wild. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched the trailer last night after watching Red Notice

did not look like we needed to spend the time watching it,

all star cast tho,, if that matters to anyone

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
but it's incredibly ham-fisted allegory for climate change

That’s because it’s about COVID.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Watching it now as the wife suggested it. I watched the trailer and immediately knew the comet was climate change and it would be liberal propaganda. But it did look to have some humor. Anyhow I’m clearly not watching too intently.

Eta: Typical liberal bullshit Trump people stupid. Hillary people good garbage. Annoying movie.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Watching it now, I love the sarcastic exaggerations of wide-spread apathy, celebrity worship, political agendas driving “science” and policy, how the elite’s primary concern is always for themselves, etc.

It is quite ironic that the big name actors essentially mock themselves and their worshippers in this film and don’t even realize it.

It kind of reminds me of “Idiocracy” in it’s depiction of the inevitable results of dumbing down society.

I was expecting it to paint the conservatives as the evil ones, but I didn’t see it. In one shot they even showed a picture of the president (Meryl Streep) embracing Bill Clinton. That would suggest to me she was a “D”. They really never labeled political parties on anyone.

The pilot character with racist comments etc. was from “another generation” and could have been from either side. Lord knows both have had this archaic “characters” associated with their parties.

Finally I think it points out the folly of “man” thinking they are significant enough to to have a determinative impact on our earth or powerful and intelligent enough to take charge of the planet or challenge God’s plan.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
You must have missed how the “don’t look up” side had rallies that looked like Trump rallies with red hats and the president’s son speaking. The “just look up” pro science people had signs that looked like the Hillary signs. Just one example of many in the movie.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
it isn't difficult to separate politics from science.

People only look at the science that fits their politics.

Posts: 21122 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Wasnt Dicrapio one of the celebutwats that went to the "climate change" boondoggle / virtue signaling event back in 2019 that collectively spewed like 2 million pounds of co2 just for all the attendees to travel there and back?

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Watching it now, I love the sarcastic exaggerations of wide-spread apathy, celebrity worship, political agendas driving “science” and policy, how the elite’s primary concern is always for themselves, etc.

It is quite ironic that the big name actors essentially mock themselves and their worshippers in this film and don’t even realize it.

It kind of reminds me of “Idiocracy” in it’s depiction of the inevitable results of dumbing down society.

I was expecting it to paint the conservatives as the evil ones, but I didn’t see it. In one shot they even showed a picture of the president (Meryl Streep) embracing Bill Clinton. That would suggest to me she was a “D”. They really never labeled political parties on anyone.

The pilot character with racist comments etc. was from “another generation” and could have been from either side. Lord knows both have had this archaic “characters” associated with their parties.

Finally I think it points out the folly of “man” thinking they are significant enough to to have a determinative impact on our earth or powerful and intelligent enough to take charge of the planet or challenge God’s plan.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We were down at our daughter’s house for Christmas, and this movie was turned on. I left the room to go read. Wasn’t anything that really offended me, it just bored me.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outside the obvious politics it was a movie that would have benefitted from editing 20 or 30 minutes off.

They lambasted both sides but predominantly blasted the “stupid” conservatives. Just look up is a thinly veiled allegory of just get vaccinated. If you just look up everything will be better.

It was funny that the actors didn’t seem to recognize they were making a movie that lambasted celebrity culture as well as blasting fly over country.

Not a good movie either way. Better to go watch Ghostbusters Afterlife, at least it tries to be entertaining.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post