SIGforum
Who was the guy? What was the movie?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6410083494

August 25, 2022, 07:40 AM
bendable
Who was the guy? What was the movie?
A guy shot another fellas suit case for some reason.
And the suit case owner complained.

And the shooter told him there's always one guy,
If you go high enough, there's always one guy

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
August 25, 2022, 08:03 AM
clubleaf206
'Payback', with Mel Gibson. He shoots James Coburn's character's briefcase. "Man, that just RUDE!"

August 25, 2022, 08:43 AM
Ryanp225
Hubba hubba.
August 25, 2022, 11:19 AM
Windhover
There are 2 versions which are drastically different.

The theatrical release is more lighthearted and has a blue-ish filter that gives the movie a 70's vibe.

The director's cut is "darker" and does not have the filter. It is also different in how the plot points are resolved.

Story-wise, I like the director's cut more, but visually I like the filter, so I guess the ideal version for me which doesn't exist is the director's cut with the blue-ish filter.
August 25, 2022, 11:38 AM
vinnybass
^^^ I didn't know this.

Great movie, IMO.

I wanted to kill Val Resnick (played by Gregg Henry) myself, he was such a prick.

Dialog I particularly liked:

Stegman : You know what, Val, this one's on me. OK?

Val Resnick : Do you see me reaching for my fucking wallet?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
August 25, 2022, 01:19 PM
Vgex
I was watching Point Blank (1967), for the first time, a few months ago and thought I was having deja vu. Turns out Payback and Point Blank were based off the same story.
August 25, 2022, 02:58 PM
Windhover
Yes, based on the novel The Hunter by Richard Stark/Donald Westlake.

The character's name in the novel(s) is Parker, but as I understand it, the film makers don't have the rights to the name. I understand there are a number of films based on novels starring "Parker" with the name changed.

I have seen "Parker" portrayed by Jason Statham in the film Parker, co-starring Jennifer Lopez.
August 25, 2022, 03:32 PM
HRK
Great movie,

Do you understand your value to the organization, Resnick?" "You're a sadist. You lack compunction. That comes in handy."
August 25, 2022, 03:51 PM
Ryanp225
"Let her work"
August 25, 2022, 06:05 PM
wingfoot
I loved that movie, so many great lines in it. Gonna have to try and locate on streaming and watch it again.
August 27, 2022, 04:26 AM
Kevbo
Was it rude or mean?

quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
'Payback', with Mel Gibson. He shoots James Coburn's character's briefcase. "Man, that just RUDE!"

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
August 27, 2022, 05:57 AM
clubleaf206
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Was it rude or mean?

quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:

By gosh, now that you mention it, you are right. It's been many years since I have seen that movie. Thanks for correcting me.

August 27, 2022, 11:36 PM
ElToro
That’s just mean

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asJP-prTb2Y
August 28, 2022, 12:20 AM
Windhover
And that clip was from the director's cut. In the theatrical release the voice on the phone is Bronson, played by Kris Kristopherson. In this version Bronson is voiced by Sally Kellerman. One of many differences.
August 28, 2022, 02:09 PM
Lord Vaalic
Do they make a directors cut that is for the US zone players?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
August 28, 2022, 03:03 PM
Windhover
I rented the DVD of the Director's Cut from Netflix, back when they were still in DVD business. And I only had a US Zone player back then.
August 28, 2022, 09:44 PM
hberttmank
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Do they make a directors cut that is for the US zone players?

Yes they do. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Payback-Blu-ray/289/

I have an import that has both cuts on it, but is region free. Both cuts are good but I slightly prefer the theatrical version. Kris Kristofferson and his kid added something to it. "Starting to look like roast beef. "

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock