SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ADV riders, what gear is actually essential?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ADV riders, what gear is actually essential? Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
ADV has so much specific equipment…helmets, boots, pants, jackets, gloves…if you ride regularly and already have these things, though more street centric, how much of the rest is really useful? Is it an actual utility change or is it just styling? It seems like the sun visor on the helmet and maybe the more breathable goretex pants have an actual utility, but I’m curious about what others have to say.

Posts: 4479 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Depends entirely on what "ADV riding" means to you.

For me, I often ride long distances covering vastly different terrain and conditions. From 20 degrees in the rain/snow to 110 in the desert.

I often sacrifice comfort for protection, but I try to get multi-purpose gear that layers.

On my list of "must have":
- Helmet with visor and coms
- gloves with knuckle/wrist sliders
- jacket with abrasion zones (cordura/etc)
- pants with knee armor and abrasion zones
- rain jacket that fits over my riding jacket
- mid layer that fits under my riding jacket
- wicking base layer (merino wool socks/pants/undershirt)
- flat repair kit/compressor
- battery jump box
- basic tools
- water

Everything beyond that is tailored specifically to the ride, or can be purchased on the road.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The above list is good but remember weight is everything. The lower your skill set the more important weight becomes. I have a wide array of gear (most of it Klim) I have Goretex pants with knee and hip armor but for a jacket if it is remotely going to be warm I use a non goretex riding jacket with either a waterproof liner of Frog togs shell. I find that the goretex just doesn’t breath enough nor are there ever enough vents. I have slowly modified my gear and approach over 12 years. My first bid trip was Chicago to Idaho SF and back to KY then home. I wildly overpacked.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Tools, camping, season,terrain all com into play.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riding in the Yoop has quite a bit of differing terrain which includes pavement (potholed), dirt two track, deep sand and gravel. Here is what I wear on most warm days:
Inflatable airbag vest, covered by a hi-viz surveyors vest.
Kevlar jeans. Gloves. Red Wing boots. Helmet has a liftable chin bar with built in sun shield.
If its chilly I have a KLIM ADV armored jacket. Which I can wear over the airbag. I keep a rain jacket handy too.
In past years, I wore full Moto-X gear but it was hot and cumbersome, especially the boots. I like to get off the bike and wander around on foot, so I tailor my gear to allow for that. I am planning on buying a lighter weight ADV armored jacket but have not made any buying decisions yet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post