SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Peggy Castle as Mississippi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peggy Castle as Mississippi Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
Does anyone else look up 1950s film and TV cast members? Taking a look at feisty Peggie, I see in a 1st season appearance on Cheyenne "Fury at Rio Hondo", she must have been in her late 20s. And dead of cirrhosis in her late 40s! Sheeez!

http://www.westernclippings.co...eland_elegance.shtml

Now, for a really good actor taken before his time, I think of Tom Pittman. While I cannot recall which Western gave me that impression, I did note the name and look him up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pittman

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look up cast members all the time from the 40's and 50's.

In the case of Peggy she was also a regular on the TV show "Lawman".

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I always thought she was gorgeous too and mostly know her from Lawman.
Yes, too bad for her way too early demise. Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
There was a Peggy Castle who was on What’s my Line, or To Tell the Truth panel shows in the late 50s to early 60s. Was that her? The one I’m thinking of looked nothing like Lily Merrill.

Patrick S.P.— You are correct. Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigfest,

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
There was a Peggy Castle who was on What’s my Line, or To Tell the Truth panel shows in the late 50s to early 60s. Was that her? The one I’m thinking of looked nothing like Lily Merrill.

I think you are referring to Peggy Cass.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big holster. Tiny gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the profiles of actors/directors/producers etc all the time, usually on IMDB. It can be depressing. There are lots of Hollywood stories like Ms. Castles'. Premature death by alcohol is not uncommon.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a similar fate for Gail Russell. Sad story.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Big holster. Tiny gun.

I couldn't find any info on the Internet.

Looks like a bird's head grip on a full sized revolver if the contours of the leather holster aren't deceiving.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed watching the Lawman series on the westerns channel awhile back and thought Peggy Castle did a fine job as the saloon owner. That series ran from '58-'62. I suspect her alcoholism started during the Lawman series; one can see it in her face and teeth in later episodes.
I then saw her in an episode of The Virginian from 1966 as an older saloon madame. She looked the part; really worn out and old looking (and she was only 39!)
Interestingly, that was her only role after Lawman and her last one as well.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post