There are only 4 perfect movies

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6300065964

April 29, 2020, 12:12 PM
Orive 8
There are only 4 perfect movies
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'd like to know his criteria and rationale. I wonder what he means by "perfect?"

Yeah, is the movie "perfect" for taking a good nap in the ol Barcalounger or maybe something else Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
April 29, 2020, 12:13 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Dodsworth is a GREAT film. It is on TCM from time to time.

If this critic has the credentials of Roger Osborne or Roger Ebert I might be give it some credence.

April 29, 2020, 12:41 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
quote:
I'd like to know his criteria and rationale. I wonder what he means by "perfect?"

Yeah, is the movie "perfect" for taking a good nap in the ol Barcalounger or maybe something else Wink

Well, Mamet isn't exactly nobody when it comes to plays and movies. He probably has something interesting to say about this, and a valid opinion, even if you don't agree.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 29, 2020, 12:46 PM
kkina
What about Blazing Saddles??

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
April 29, 2020, 01:12 PM
oddball
quote:

Of course, it is all subjective.

For me, a film is "perfect" when all cylinders of the production are firing in sync. Script, casting, editing, directing, acting, cinematography, costumes, soundtrack, etc. IMO, most films misfire on the first three of this list; script, casting, and editing. We have seen too many decent movies and could-have-beens with subpar scripts, wrong actor in a key role, and films with too much or too little.

The automatic entries into my Perfect 4 list are The Godfather, and Citizen Kane. The other two would be harder for me to fill. Perhaps Goodfellas, or Back to the Future, or Double Indemnity, or It's A Wonderful Life, or even Godfather II. Hell, Animal House is a near perfect comedy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
April 29, 2020, 02:55 PM
Keystoner
Seriously, is Galaxy Quest good? I admit to totally judging that movie by the title--it sounds really stupid.

Year V
April 29, 2020, 03:46 PM
Batty67
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Seriously, is Galaxy Quest good? I admit to totally judging that movie by the title--it sounds really stupid.

Yes. That stated, being 20 years old, it is showing its age a bit, as all SF movies do with time, some more, some less, and others massively so.
April 29, 2020, 05:23 PM
.38supersig
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Yes!

If it weren't for the very last scene, I'd have to add Wuthering Heights, but give the nod to District 9 instead.

April 29, 2020, 05:45 PM
fpuhan
And we should care why?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
April 29, 2020, 07:16 PM
Hound Dog
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
And we should care why?

Maybe you would be more comfortable here:Your Favorite Thing is a Filthy Commie

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
April 29, 2020, 07:43 PM
CD228
Thats like, your opinion, Man!
I'll have to go look them up and take a gander.
April 29, 2020, 08:14 PM
senza nome
There is only one perfect movie ... clearly the other three must be imperfect!
April 29, 2020, 08:25 PM
feersum dreadnaught
quote:

And Young Frankenstein...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
April 29, 2020, 09:14 PM
airsoft guy
quote:

It's stupid in the best way possible. A few years back we bought a projector, that was one of the first movies we watched.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
April 29, 2020, 09:24 PM
kkina
quote:

You know that it's a send-up of Star Trek TOS, yeah? It is well done and hilarious.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
April 29, 2020, 09:44 PM
CharlieSW
Casablanca came on the other day - deserves to be at the top of any list.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.
April 29, 2020, 10:18 PM
Prefontaine
A perfect film list without a Stanley Kubrick film on the list is not a list worthy of jack shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
April 30, 2020, 06:58 AM
cas
I always get A Place In The Sun confused with A Walk In The Sun. Less killing in the one. Wink

April 30, 2020, 07:01 AM
mark123
I'd have to put The Empire Strikes Back and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid on my list.
April 30, 2020, 08:11 AM
lyman
quote:
quote:

You know that it's a send-up of Star Trek TOS, yeah? It is well done and hilarious.

oh yeah,

and done well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/