SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I'm tired of sequels and remakes.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm tired of sequels and remakes. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Christ on a crutch, don't y'all have any new ideas? It's gotten so that I just assume that anything coming out of Hollywood now is a turd.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a rehash of a long-time complaint here... Wink

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Right there with you! Why cant they leave the original story alone.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1434 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yep. From all the DEI hiring, the writers strike, new content, not rehashes, remakes, etc, I mean it’s the polar opposite from the late 90’s, even the early 00’s. I used to watch 300 films a year and most of them were actually decent. Everything is a series now, and if you think about all the streaming platforms, quality has been sacrificed for quantity. It’s like the wild Wild West for all these companies to get a series out on their streaming platform. It doesn’t help that this Gen Z has the attention span of a gnat. They cannot sit for a movie that is 90-120 minutes, but they’ll “binge” watch some series. It sucks. I go half a year now, between seeing a solid film. Crazy shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12918 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don't mind sequels if they are done within a few years of the original, but these 30-years-later ones are just dumb. A clear money grab trying to play on nostalgia and few if any of them are any good.

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You are delusional if you don't know that the whole business is a remake or taken from something prior.
Same goes for the music business.
Nothing is totally original.
Doesn't bother me, I still have the cognitive ability to turn away if not interested.

Posts: 23186 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I don't mind sequels

Some of my favorite films are sequels- Godfather II, The Dark Knight, Aliens, The Color of Money and others. Some say these sequels are better than the prior films. Same with remakes, there are some excellent ones like True Grit, The Thing, The Departed, etc. For me, modern cinema overall is the issue- IMO, it has diminished in quality, storytelling, risk-taking, etc. And I just have zero interest in most of the content of the new films.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17145 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I don't mind sequels, rehash, redo, remake whatever the fuck you want to call it. What I think is that they remake everything with a woke lens. There is maybe 10% of all new movies and shows remade or not that I can watch without thinking some sort of new social standard is being forced down my throat like a Guantanamo Bay terrorist being waterboarded.

I recently started watching Las Vegas on Prime. What a breath of fresh air. It's a soap opera for men but it was made before the world went dumb. Nothing groundbreaking, but the lack of wokeness makes the show a standout enjoyment for me.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4854 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Me too! Clint and Tom Hardy movies are about all I trust.
taylor Sheridan had it going on for a while but he's spread himself mighty thin since buying Four 6s. I liked Yellowstone, his Wind River movies and Mayor of Kingston and hope he's still got the creative juices flowing.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Sounds like a rehash of a long-time complaint here... Wink

Big Grin

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Christ on a crutch, don't y'all have any new ideas? It's gotten so that I just assume that anything coming out of Hollywood now is a turd.

Hey Jim, wanna help me write a sequel? I’m thinking Grumpy Old Men, part 3. Then we’ll do Part 4. We’re going to need some well endowed women. Auditions soon!

Here is the original.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
There are some movies that deserve a second chance though. But it would have to be done with the right director and actors.
The Highlander comes to mind. I like the original but bad acting, bad fight scenes, there's a lot of bad in it, yet still a classic to me.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3927 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

I recently started watching Las Vegas on Prime. What a breath of fresh air. It's a soap opera for men but it was made before the world went dumb. Nothing groundbreaking, but the lack of wokeness makes the show a standout enjoyment for me.

Me too, Ed De Line/James Caan is the man!

Posts: 4754 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it works. I'd say that this latest retelling of Dune was mostly for the better. And Godzilla Minus One is at the top of a long "heritage" of flicks about the lizard, most of which were pretty damn bad.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post