SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert : Colorado Territory - a remake of High Sierra
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert : Colorado Territory - a remake of High Sierra Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Ask a moderately knowledgeable film buff about which role made Humphrey Bogart famous, and nine out of ten will say The Maltese Falcon. This film was released in October of 1941. However, ten months before that, Bogart starred in the film that really got him noticed- Raoul Walsh's High Sierra, released in January, 1941. Written by the great W.R. Burnett and with a screenplay by John Huston, High Sierra presents Bogart's Roy Earle as the gangster-as-tragic-hero. This was something new in films, with only James Cagney's Eddie Bartlett coming before him, in Walsh's 1939 release of The Roaring Twenties. Before these Walsh-directed films, gangsters and outlaws were always the bad guy and only the bad guy. Depression-era America helped create these characters, with gangsters functioning in the role of the Twentieth Century's "man of action".

Eight years after High Sierra, Raoul Walsh once again revisited Burnett's tragic hero, but this time in the form of a Western, and with Joel McCrea instead of Bogart in the lead role. This is a remake worth your time, unlike most of them.

Airing on TCM this afternon at 4:30 pm EST

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
thanks, I learned something new today. High Sierra is a great film, looking forward to the comparison.

Oh my, it's got Dorothy Malone, too... I'll be happy.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post