SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Candlelight Concerts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Candlelight Concerts Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Basically it’s self-explanatory.
Mostly tribute concerts played by Strings, and maybe other instruments depending on the City and available musical groups in different nice scenarios or locations lighted by (romantic) candlelights. The concept is available internationally in mayor cities.

Wife loved it.
It was the Coldplay tribute concert and it was a four strings quartet composed of three violins and a cello. There are other Tributes/evenings for Queen, Hans Zimmer, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, etc.

I am not particularly familiar with Coldplay, too Pop for my own taste.

In any case, while wife enjoyed herself immensely, i noted the players repeated a short and simple melody over and over, and over and over, and over again. Not sure about the original songs but the briefly short melodies turned sour (to me) after they begun to sound like a broken record.
Considering that by the third repetition the message had been received and filed properly, repeating it (Cmdr Lassard’s voice) many, many, many times (/Cmdr Lassard’s voice) over and over again was way past overkill. My brain dissengaged.
I got bored. By the 4th song (forced myself to be patient for wife’s sake, and my own physical security), with little effort filtered the violins away and focused on the very enjoyable cello. Enough with the screaming cats guts serenade.
Don’t have anything personally against violins, i assure you. Started to long for Richter’s Four Seasons Reimagined.

No need to attrnd or watch any other Candlelight Concert ever. Not in this life or following ones. If i return as a roach i might run across the stage looking for a merciful shoe to stomp me and put me out of my misery. I swear.

But i must say the wife really enjoyed it. So if the tip is good, please nake good use of it. She’s not into fancy sorties and much less musical ones. This was God sent (for her). She’s delighted.
I will need to listen to early period Led Zep to cleanse the monotonous repetitive quarted. Even long for minimalist stuff, much less “exiting”

0-0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0-0,

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12268 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
re Coldplay

years ago, I was in the Grocery Biz and was gifted a set of tickets to a Coldplay show
the local Miller Beer rep was a customer in the store I was in, and found out my wife was a fan, so we got to go courtesy of Miller beer,

fantastic show it was,

I have no idea there were tribute bands for Coldplay

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10577 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Candlelight Concerts are not a tribute band. The shows are organized in different countries with local (?) musicians/groups that play different galas centered on one band, composer, style, afaik.

The lady sitting next to me had already attended the Queen (band) night days before.
The local String Quartet does the different Candlelight shows, playing a different set each time.
Not sure where Strings can fill some pop/rock bands/compositions shoes without other instruments help.
Right now, i’m thinking of getting rid of my 2 cellos album …

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12268 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I can't stand coldplay but to your other point, the problem with playing ppop music in a classical style is that that nobody wrote continuing variations in melody like they do classical songs with no singing. In pop music, the lyrics are the variation and the melody doesn't need to change or even have much inflection. But in instrumental music, you need variations in the melodies.

The best thing you can do with pop songs is just do short versions of them. And avoid coldplay.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post