SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Oh look, the Oscars....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh look, the Oscars.... Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
That Everything movie, I had to turn it off and didn’t even finish it. No thanks. I tried to watch it several evenings and not anything I think is Oscar worthy either and it won most shit last night. Best supporting actor, and actress, and best actress among the other accolades. I’ll watch the nominated films and make my own opinions as usual. Academy is more interested in woke winners than awarding the best art. Nominations are usually pretty good however. Will be interesting to figure out who really got robbed this year.

Thank you. I tried to watch this movie three times and just kept turning it off. First 15 minutes was interesting and then it just turned into a , well, the type of movie academy voters love. Garbage. As far as who got robbed, it think it was all is quiet on the western front. Also, Brendan Frazier as best actor? Don't think so. I thought Colin Farrell was much better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, this year it was "The first Asian woman" yadda yadda. Michelle Yeoh is a fine actress I SAID ACTRESS but these people are pathetic.

Posts: 107555 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, this year it was "The first Asian woman" yadda yadda. Michelle Yeoh is a fine actress I SAID ACTRESS but these people are pathetic.

I really like Yeoh, just not in this film. I also like Jamie Lee Curtis but don't agree with her win either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:

Thank you. I tried to watch this movie three times and just kept turning it off. First 15 minutes was interesting and then it just turned into a , well, the type of movie academy voters love. Garbage. As far as who got robbed, it think it was all is quiet on the western front. Also, Brendan Frazier as best actor? Don't think so. I thought Colin Farrell was much better.

I tried, I really tried to watch that thing. Rented the 4k disc. Everyone was all hootin and hollerin about it. It was just stupid. And when the daughter was all “Mom, I’m GAY!” this scene popped into my head instantaneously. Go to 50 seconds in the video. It’s Sissy Spacek saying “Oh shit”. That’s exactly what I thought of. Oh shit, here we go.

https://youtu.be/DBS-mKNEEoA

The next night I made another 15 minutes or so. However long it was on for Jamie Lee Curtis to start acting like Michael Myers. Turned it off again, ejected it, and said fuck this. Just nonsense.

I’m a film buff and think I know film well enough or as well as anyone else. I can go down the arty films pretty hard too with the indies, etc. But that fucking thing was just nonsense. I saw that Black Panther sequel too, and it was not a good film, at all. Banshees had some good parts in it, especially the Priest in the confessional but it was no In Bruges. Out of all the films nominated that I’ve seen thus far, Tar, as art *** as it was, had an Oscar performance in it, Cate Blanchett. She ripped through that thing, with gusto. The subject matter you can get lost with as well as the dialog. But it was still what once was, an Oscar type film. I’ve got the Fabelmans coming in the mail and I will watch All Quiet on Netflix since I turned it on for a month to see the Chris Rock special where he douses that bitch Will Smith. Elvis, I didn’t think that it was anything special at all. I’ve seen way better biographical films about other artists that made that thing look like trash.

The voters for the Academy now, and the past 3-4 or so years, vote for woke shit. The quality of the performance, the film, the direction, etc, is not important as woke whatever bullshit. In the nominees there is usually buried some good films. In years past you could bank on most of the nominated films and performances being pretty solid. But these days high quality film is just not around. Very few and far between. It’s been a drought for years now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Also, how does Maverick not win for film editing?

The Fabelmans was really good. If you like Spielberg at all you will appreciate this film as it is basically inspired by his childhood. I watched a documentary on him and it showed footage from movies he made when he was a kid. It was pretty cool to see it incorporated in this film. Don't think it was "Oscar worthy" but I really enjoyed it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We finally got around to watching Everything Everywhere All At Once. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it was still weird and stupid.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does weird and stupid win it all? Yes I do know the answer.

Hollywood might become a self correcting problem though. Theaters have only got a few years left and then they are done. I haven’t gone to many movies over the last few years but the one constant was a nearly empty theater. The days of showing up early, being sold out, can’t get good seats, it is basically over.

Once everything we watch is on a streaming channel all actors become tv stars which isn’t the same cache as movie stars. They are going to become less and less relevant to even those who care about such things.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
We finally got around to watching Everything Everywhere All At Once. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it was still weird and stupid.

The worst movie I'd ever seen was Marvel's Aquaman. I say WAS, because EEAAO is now, the worst move I've ever seen. That's right. SPOILER:> Riding a sea horse into battle is more plausible than hot dog fingered feet playing piano, jumping on IRS awards with their sphincter.

Some of the acting was good. All of the story was asinine. Pudgy confused teenage angst creates a multiverse of destroy everything that only mom can fix.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
EEAAO is now, the worst move I've ever seen.

Stopped maybe 40 minutes in, still waiting for science fiction to intrude on what to that point was 99% a slice-of-flawed-life soap opera, a good chunk of which was in Chinese. Last straw was the IRS office scene.

Not one character seemed interesting. Maybe the movie got better (or, maybe not?) but if so, hiding a good movie behind that much angst and nonsense up front strikes me as not good plot design.

It's in the running for worst movie I've spent time watching, for sure. Can count on one hand the number I've walked out on, and honestly I watched those longer before bailing.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Also, how does Maverick not win for film editing?

The Fabelmans was really good. If you like Spielberg at all you will appreciate this film as it is basically inspired by his childhood. I watched a documentary on him and it showed footage from movies he made when he was a kid. It was pretty cool to see it incorporated in this film. Don't think it was "Oscar worthy" but I really enjoyed it.

Top Gun was “modern war” and those Hollywood bitches, it has to be WWI, or WWII, or Vietnam or something. Modern war anything related will get fucked.

I did watch the Fabelmans on 4k blu ray. It was decent and I agree definitely not Oscar worthy. Kenneth Branaugh’s Irish film about his childhood was infinitely a better film. “Air” is the only “real” film I’ve seen this year. I’m barely using the HT I built specifically for this purpose in 2019. Full on drought. Nothing but popcorn, Disney superho type shit for the most part. Film has been abysmal. I mean I love Denis, PTA, Marty, and a few other directors but it’s long gaps between their films. IQ/intellect has just dropped off the map and it’s really astonishing. If there was one thing I bank on in my nearly 50 years on this planet, it’s film. It’s been consistent, in that you can bank on 12, 20 or more solid films a year. I mean really solid work. Sometimes several a month. Now it’s single digits for the entire year and the past few years you could count them on one hand. Hollyweird has migrated over to episodic bullshit across 20 platforms, and likewise, that is mostly garbage. I finally watched the Queen’s Gambit recently and that series was better than 90% of the films I’ve seen since 2019.

Woke and smartphone the entire way of life is coffin nailing entertainment.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post