Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rock Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
$100M seems like a reasonable drop in the bucket. Vs the 81 hostages and millions of citizens (even though SF). It doesn’t even register as an error on the budget accounting books.

So, $100M is worth more than 81 hostages? Meager $1M per person?

What kind of president is he?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Well, this was like 25 years ago, right? That’s gotta be the same as a billion today, no?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
[LesGrossman]We don’t negotiate with terrorists.[/LesGrossman]

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
[LesGrossman]We don’t negotiate with terrorists.[/LesGrossman]

Yea. And in concept, probably an agreeable but unpalatable stance. But this is not really terrorism in the malevolent sense. This is getting the government to stand up, do the right thing and pay what is due. Paying $100M to the estates of soldiers who gave their lives for the country seems like minimal due and past due.

The government is the last body that should be taking advantage of one's patriotism. So, they continue to abuse the patriotism of those lost and threw in 81 more lives on top of that.

The mercs are terrorists; but I'm not sure what to call the general and the major.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Holding the government accountable by waving VX chemical warheads around and threatening a civilian populace seems pretty malevolent to me. Lest you forget, General Hummel even fired off one of the rockets at the Oakland Coliseum as a show of his determination. Nevermind the fact that he detonated it prematurely.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yea. And in concept, probably an agreeable but unpalatable stance. But this is not really terrorism in the malevolent sense. This is getting the government to stand up, do the right thing and pay what is due. Paying $100M to the estates of soldiers who gave their lives for the country seems like minimal due and past due.

The government is the last body that should be taking advantage of one's patriotism. So, they continue to abuse the patriotism of those lost and threw in 81 more lives on top of that.

The mercs are terrorists; but I'm not sure what to call the general and the major.

Terrorists. You call them terrorists.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
" What in the name of Zeus's Butthole?"

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
1) His cause was just
2) His target was innocent and powerless, thus that was not just.
3) His hostages were innocent and powerless, thus this was not just.

But I just want to know, did you like my haircut?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pretty good exchange in the film, makes the point perfectly

General Hummel : Did they bother to tell you who I am and why I'm doing this or are they just using you like they do everybody else?

John Mason : All I know is that you were big in Vietnam, I saw the highlights on television.

General Hummel : Then you probably have no idea what it means to lead some of the finest men on God's earth into combat and then watch their memories get betrayed by their own fucking government.

John Mason : I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir. Personally, I think you're a fucking idiot.

General Hummel : "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

John Mason : "Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious," according to Oscar Wilde.

[Hummel strikes him, and he falls to his knees]

John Mason : Thank you for making my point.

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Holding the government accountable by waving VX chemical warheads around and threatening a civilian populace seems pretty malevolent to me. Lest you forget, General Hummel even fired off one of the rockets at the Oakland Coliseum as a show of his determination. Nevermind the fact that he detonated it prematurely.

Remember that, to him, this was about threat of force. He never intended to hurt anybody. He said that would be insane.

Regardless, the gov had the means, even using illicit funds, to address the meager request. But declined.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
the gov had the means, even using illicit funds, to address the meager request.

Wasn't it kept in an account under the name Grand Cayman Red Sea trading company ?

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Remember that, to him, this was about threat of force. He never intended to hurt anybody. He said that would be insane.

So the government is supposed to pay ransoms to terrorists who don't even have the stones to kill civilians? Where do I sign up for this kind of deal?

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My favorite lines from the movie were this because they KNEW Mason was a BAMF and WOULD use the scissors:

FBI Director Womack : Just clippers, no scissors.

Paul the Hotel Barber : No scissors, you've got to be kidding me, no scissors. I mean, did they tell Picasso "no brush"?

FBI Director Womack : With scissors, this man could kill you.

John Mason : I can't cut off anyone's balls with a trimmer, now can I? Why don't we do this outside? Get some sun.

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The Rock was a great movie.

A few months ago I came across this fan theory:

That John Mason is really James Bond. Pretty fun read Smile

The Rock: 9 Things That Prove John Mason Is Really James Bond

Michael Bay's The Rock has led to the theory that Sean Connery's character, John Mason, is really James Bond. But does the theory really hold weight?

https://screenrant.com/the-roc...-same-person-theory/

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I’m doing my best.

Posts: 3677 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
"Your 'best?' Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Carla was the prom queen.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hey man, you just fucked up your Ferrari.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post