SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2001 A Space Odyssey...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 A Space Odyssey... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
I’m watching it now on TCM...every time I watch it it I am transported back to seeing it the first time as a 15 year old...I’ll admit it went over my head at times...but visually, I had seen nothing like it before Smile. For it’s time the special effects backed up by the soundtrack are without equal.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Saw 2001 in the theater when it was first released.

I recently replaced my 15 year old 65" rear projection TV with a new 65" 4k HDR Dolby Vision RokuTV LED set and a 4k Dolby Vision WiFi Blu-Ray player. Had 2010 in my DVD library but not 2001. AVS Forums DVD reviews indicated that the 4K Dolby Vision version of 2001 was well worth owning and would really show off my new setup's capabilities. I was NOT disappointed!

Also recommend watching 2001 and 2010 in succession. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie the night before I was inducted in the Navy in Chicago. I wouldn’t see another movie for a long time.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My Dad took my Mom to this movie for their first date and apparently they were very confused! Big Grin

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I'm very familiar with Kubrick's work. Initial release people didn't know what to think. Some critics praised it initially, many bashed it. It stuttered upon initial release, then word of mouth spread and it ended up being a commercial success. Like many of Kubrick's films, way ahead of its' time.

I just watched the recently released 4k/HDR version of it on disc. Still stands the test of time. Audio back then was what it was and it was the only disappointing thing about the disc but not much can be done without remastering it with current techniques. This film inspired many film makers, most noticeably, Spielberg, and George Lucas. With the current state of film, I sorely miss Kubrick. He was the greatest director and film maker of all time by quite a long margin.

Hello Dave. Would you like a stress pill?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
My father was a satellite communications engineer and very early in my childhood I was instilled with a fascination of all things science, space, astronaut, or sci-fi related. I don't know how old I was when my parents took me to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in the theater (truth be told I think it was more a date for my parents and they just brought me along), but I'd guess I was 3 or 4 years old. I remember being fascinated by the astronaut sequences but confused by much of the movie...and I distinctly remember being very concerned for the "space child" at the end of the movie because I knew that people couldn't live in space without a space suit. Smile

I've watched the movie as an adult several times since and still find it a visually stimulating movie that remains thought provoking...and still enjoyable all these years later.

Long before there was Sky Net or concerns over Artificial Intelligence (AI) there was HAL.

"Hal, open the Pod Bay doors"

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Kubrick was masterful at getting a lot of the little things right like when Dave had to blow himself from the vacuum of space into the airlock, there was no sound as there would not have been.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the remainder. I'll have to watch that again.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
The first movie I saw with an Intermission and now that I think about it, the only movie I have seen with an Intermission.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I remember Patton having an intermission when I saw it in a theater. As I get older I wish more movies had intermissions so I can go pee.

"Open the Pod Bay Doors, Hal".

From a plot standpoint, I liked 2010 better.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its not in my top 12 ,but would watch all of it, if it shows up

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daisy,Daisy,------give------me---------your-----------------answer---------------------true.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
2001 was the first movie I ever saw at a Drive in. I was was with my parents and my brothers. Brothers and I were all in our pajamas with our blankets. Drive ins were the best!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post