SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wow. Underoath’s lyrics have gotten really dark.

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow. Underoath’s lyrics have gotten really dark. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have had Underoath’s They’re Only Chasing Safety album cover as my avatar on here for a very long time now.
I really enjoy the album and the picture is pretty cool. Underoath has always been a pretty heavy band but their lyrics never seemed dark to me.
I have not listened to them since they broke up in 2013 or so and did not know they were back together and making music again.
I was scrolling through the channels on SiriusXM and saw Underoath being played but did not recognize the song Rapture.
So I started listening and it sounded really good. While their style has softened a little less yelling and screaming with lighter tone. So I jumped over to Amazon Music and sure enough found an album I did not know existed. That’s odd it has a Explicit label to it as Underoath is a Christian Band.
So I start listening and am enjoying it but wow the lyrics are really really dark and some cursing. So I start doing some googling and it seems that they are no longer a Christian band the two main fellas have seemed to step back from their organized Christianity.
Does not seem they have lost their faith in Christ but their faith in the people that are the church. Which I have done myself in the past and come back.
Interesting how the lyrics seem to really change with a lifestyle or belief change. I am about 4 years behind since this album came out in 2018 and I guess a new album is supposed to be released this month (which is likely why they were being played on SiriusXM today).
I am looking forward to hearing the new album.

————————————————
I think that when those dark voices start calling our name in the back of our head we need to remind those voices who we belong to!
Andrew Schwab - Project 86

Posts: 23062 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Apparently Wendy’s Official Twitter feed yes the burger place pokes fun at them for cursing on the album.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Wen...od-underoath-more%2F

————————————————
I think that when those dark voices start calling our name in the back of our head we need to remind those voices who we belong to!

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I found them years ago (When the sun sleeps).
Was actually shocked to learn they were christian (just based on the style of music).

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I found them years ago (When the sun sleeps).
Was actually shocked to learn they were christian (just based on the style of music).

There were so many good hardcore Christian bands from the late 90s to around 2015 or 2016. There are a few left but I grew up in the bay day of them and so glad I did.

Just found this video in reading a bit more on Underoath’s recent progression (I guess that is the right word) and this dude is pretty much spot on.

————————————————

Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that era is over. Not going to watch the guys analysis video right now, but I’ve heard a number of theories. Most prominent is that most of the bands in that scene were “in name only” and their behavior on the road was just typical rock band stuff. A few weren’t, but most all were. My favorites from the era were Zao and Living Sacrifice. Bruce Fitzhugh was the real deal. Dan Weyandt… not so much, and they quickly dropped the “Christian” from their flavor after Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest, which was about what the title sounds like. Probably a lot of it started with real spirituality, but when you throw enough booze, drugs, and pussy at it, you kind of lose that focus.

Posts: 14002 | Location: Seattle-ish | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

man, I'm glad I don't go to church wherever they went. there are judgmental people everywhere but the Christian people I surround myself with provide everything they say they can only find outside of the church. if they can't find acceptance, empathy, compassion, prayer, etc. in their network then by all means look for another network. once again, placing too much emphasis on the people rather than what the Word of God says.

I get disillusioned with people, too, but my hope is not in them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 9802 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Smudge if you enjoy the genre I suggest taking the time to watch the video.
I think it is very well done and spot on.

Turns out the new Underoath album dropped today and the 2 songs that they played on Octane today were good.

This thread makes me really miss The Kiln that was the hard Christian Station on XM when it first launched.
I still listen to RadioU but it is not much like it used to be in the late 90s early 2000s.
The throwback channel is alright but their playlist should be so much deeper than they are.

————————————————

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
When they had a concert in '18 with Anberlin's reunion, I kind of thought they're kinda pushing the Christian Rock envelope. We only stayed for two songs since my daughter and I were only there for Anberlin.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7322 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

man, I'm glad I don't go to church wherever they went. there are judgmental people everywhere but the Christian people I surround myself with provide everything they say they can only find outside of the church. if they can't find acceptance, empathy, compassion, prayer, etc. in their network then by all means look for another network. once again, placing too much emphasis on the people rather than what the Word of God says.

I get disillusioned with people, too, but my hope is not in them.

You do have to see their point though. Question doctrine and you're the subject of gossip or ridicule. Doctrine that is contrary to Scripture should be questioned but you may as well just leave because things aren't going to change especially when the ministry depends on that doctrine for a paycheck. It seems the bigger the church, the bigger the problem. It's not just their church, I'm sure in their travels they've been to many different congregations. The big disillusionment comes from seeing the same problems everywhere.

Posts: 43157 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smudge mentioned Zao; I think they're still a Christian band.

Posts: 570 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
and this dude is pretty much spot on

The Punk Rock MBA is a great YT channel. Finn is smart and funny, and does a great job breaking down why certain bands and genres of music were popular during certain time periods, in a surprisingly intelligent way. I've watched a lot of his stuff, and it's all been educational and entertaining, even the stuff on bands/genres that never interested me.

Posts: 28206 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Man, their new album Voyeurist that just came out this week is even more dark than Erase Me that I just found the other day.
Going to have to get used to them cursing so much as well.

The albums are good just going to take some getting used to.

————————————————

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Never got into this genre much, all I recall about it was trading a Loverboy cassette for a Petra cassette with a friend on the way back from summer camp. Smile

Wish I had that Loverboy cassette back.....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6097 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post