SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lovers of old warbirds, step in (very pic heavy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lovers of old warbirds, step in (very pic heavy) Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
I recently returned from a visit to my old stamping grounds in the Old Country. I used to live extremely close to a famous 'Battle of Britain' RAF airfield - RAF Biggin Hill. I spent many a happy day there in the past and various airshows and air displays. Alas, the RAF has moved on and Biggin Hill airfield is now a busy hub of business aviation. However, history is not totally lost as also present on the airfield is the RAF Biggin Hill memorial Chapel & Museum which I have visited several times on past trips, and the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar. The hangar is a working renovation and refurbishment company that rebuils, and returns to flying condition old WWII aircraft, some of which they own, and some that are shipped in from all over the world. As part of their business, they offer tours of the facility where you can both see and photograph aircraft in various stages of restoration.I have visited the hangar in the past and taken the tour, but on this occasion, my brother and I wanted to book our places to actually fly in two of their dual control Spitfires, later in the year on 'Battle of Britain day', the 15th of September. Yes, you actually get to fly the aircraft!, (it's not cheap!) We also took the opportunity to grab another quick free look around the hangar.

So, on to the pictures:

Memorial at the airfield entrance

Spitfire under full check and rebuild to maintain airworthy status

Me 109E under restoration to flight, awaiting DB engine from the US

Mk IX Dual control Spitfire (ex - Irish Air Corps T.9) undergoing engine overhaul and checks.

P40 Warhawk, under restoration to flight status - this will have dual controls fitted.

Dual control Spitfire under conversion

Mk1 (Battle of Britain survivor) - undergoing annual checks to retain flight status.

Hispano HA1112 'Buchon' (Me109 replica - ex Spanish Airforce - with Merlin Engine)

Hawker Hurricane Mk1. 1940 Battle of Britain era survivor.

USAAF Spitfire MKIX

If you ever get the chance, the visit is worth your time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess there’s no way you can resize those photos, Pyker; they’re so big, it’s difficult to enjoy them.

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
All you gotta do is scroll. Or just save them to your phone and the picture viewer will resize them to fit the screen.

Great pics!!! I would LOVE to go there.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

You can resize offline using Irfanview or other free photo editor and re-upload.

I'd do it but I'm running out of room on my host.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, I've been fascinated with WW2 planes since I was a kid.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Pics fixed.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics and the description of your visit. Seems very clear someone had a great time! Smile

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great photos! I was in London a few years ago and visited all of the area air museums. Biggin Hill was harder to reach so I skipped it.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Great photos! I was in London a few years ago and visited all of the area air museums. Biggin Hill was harder to reach so I skipped it.

There's actually two hangars of exhibits on the tour, but it was closed when I was there this time. I'll try and dig out the photos from the trip back in 2018/19.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Pics fixed.

Thank you, and they’re fantastic!

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I found 65 more pix of the visit I took back in 2019 if anyone's interested in seeing them.

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I often wondered what your 'old stomping grounds' looked like. Wink

Enjoyed your pics of the museum, fascinating place. Flying in one of those old Spitfires is certainly an experience to look forward to.

Thanks for posting!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Amazing they can still be flying after almost 85 years.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Great pics!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
There is an awesome place just outside of Norfolk, VA as well. All their aircraft are still not only flyable, but are regularly flown.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I know the Spitfire is the Darling of the BOB folks, however I prefer the unsung Workhorse of the Hurricane. Not fancy, definitely not frilly, just a classic design which served throughout the war.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, did you fly any of the planes?? When the WW 11 planes come here they fly you at a pretty steep price. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well, did you fly any of the planes?? When the WW 11 planes come here they fly you at a pretty steep price. Thanks for posting.

Spitfire flight booked for September 15th. It is not cheap. It's only money tho.