SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pole pruning saw- Echo or Stihl
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pole pruning saw- Echo or Stihl Login/Join 
posted
I need a recommendation on one or the other. I have several Stihl products, but have read good reviews on the Echo. The models I'm looking at are the Echo PPT-280 and the Stihl HT-133. The local dealer has a sale this week on Echo; I just want to base my choice on the best tool for the job. Any advice on either?

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, my tree guy uses an HT-133. I talked to him about it. He insisted it was the only way to go. So that's what I bought.

Can't comment on the Echo. Don't know anything about it. I know my Stihl HT-133 runs like a top and cuts like a banshee Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have echo weed eater and edger and both have run great for a long time. I can't say if they're better than Stihl, but they are quality machines.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I got the Stihl HT-130 (non-telescoping). It reaches anything I need to, and is a bit easier to handle than one that extends way out. It starts easily and cuts, even mesquite, but that is hard on the chain.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Stihl power pole pruners and they are quality tools. The Echo will probably suit your needs. I would go with the one with the better dealer and parts support.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I've got a stihl kombi with the pole saw attachment... has been awesome.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
It's been a couple of years, but unless there's been a big change, I'd say Stihl hands down.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints with my Echo extendable pole pruner. You probably can't go wrong with either.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite the fact that I have actually met the man, who owns the company and ridden with him in his James Bond Aston Martin ( DB5 or DB6 ?) through the streets of Stutgart, I have had problems with my Stihl products, mostly hard starting. I recently switched to an Echo weed trimmer and it starts much better.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
... I have had problems with my Stihl products, mostly hard starting. I recently switched to an Echo weed trimmer and it starts much better.

My Stihl 025, ±23 years old, can be hard-starting, sometimes. It's always been that way. The HT-133 power pole pruner starts right up, though. As easily as my Echo hand-held leaf blower.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Always STIHL, after working for the city over 3 summers in high school we used to intentionally beat the crap out of the tools to try and get the day off. They just kept ticking.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a Japanese brand that is supposed to be very highly rated? They make the little folding saw, larger folding saw and also huge pole style?

I'll try to find the name.

Found it. I only remember this from when I was researching a folding hand saw this brand kept coming up as one of the top 2. I went with a cheaper option so I can't attest to this, but it looks and rates well online.

Silky pole saw

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the Stihls aren't as well balanced as the Echo's. Stihls are probably a touch more durable than echo's, but echo's are very very durable. I have an Echo PPT 225, the non extendable one and it's a beast for the little saw it is and I love it. It just goes and goes.......

I had a stihl pole hedge trimmer and hated it because it was very motor heavy (didn't balance well), the blade end went past the mounted blade so you couldn't follow a fence line with it because the end would keep wacking it (where the fixed blade on the echo is the furthest point and can run it right along the fence), and the 4 mix motor was hard starting if you shut it off and tried to restart it within 5 minutes of shutting it off. I got an echo and never looked back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I would have to go with Stihl just by name (no experience with either) and my uncle that logged trees in MT in the past always had Stihl saws.

For a manual pole saw, dad brought me a "Silky Hayauchi" brand this weekend and I've been slicing through limbs like butter. My arms are a little sore, because I work in a cubicle normally... but quality stuff!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have the STIHL. Used it for 5 solid hours the first day I got it. Had some sore muscles for about a week. It never misses a beat...then again, NONE of my STIHL eqpt has failed me. Good stuff.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Stihl HT133 today, 10% off - out the door for about $635. Time to put it to work.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In The Lair makes we wonder if this is yet another stream of lines I don't understand, or a true hobby! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Dont discount a Husqvarna professional pruner. I love Stihl chainsaws (I have two), but the Husqvarna pruner is lighter weight than the comparable Stihl (your shoulders, arms, back will thank you).

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
Dont discount a Husqvarna professional pruner. I love Stihl chainsaws (I have two), but the Husqvarna pruner is lighter weight than the comparable Stihl (your shoulders, arms, back will thank you).

I think you'd have to be doing a powerful lot of pruning to make that an issue.

Heck, several weeks back, when I bought my HT-133, I'd been off my workout schedule for six weeks or better, I'm 66 years old, and I had no trouble at all trimming-off... <thinking...> a couple dozen or so limbs? Three or four of them pretty big (4-6" around at their bases), so I took multiple cuts or under-cut.

The thing's not all that heavy, IMO, and it's well-balanced.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:

I just use the included shoulder strap, clip it right to the saw, and it carries the weight 90% of the time.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post