SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, when do we get another GREAT movie like those?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, when do we get another GREAT movie like those? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Used to watch a lot of movies, a lot. Good and bad, no problem of subtitles or foreign languages, all welcome…

Just remembered how memorable were the ones on the title and wondered what happened to great thrillers like those.

Can we have more, please?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The letter people would picket Lambs, stating transgender something or other, bitching.

Seven, fat people would be offended and picket.

We live in a different society now, and everything has to be a safe space, except horror movies.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
We live in a different society now, and everything has to be a safe space, except horror movies.

Also, movie studios keep courting the four quadrant audiences, and especially the teens and 20-somethings, so everything has to be light and glib and snarky, with fast pacing and a wobbly camera.

That said, I have been enjoying the crime thrillers of Taylor Sheridan, such as Wind River, Sicario, and Hell or High Water. Those are appropriately made for grown-ups. Also, Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal is a solid entry in the genre.

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nightcrawler is a badass flick. Also, to borrow an actor from that one, and the director of Sicario: Prisoners is an excellent thriller.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Most of the good writers are flocking to streaming services. Why try to cram everything into a 90 minute movie when you can have 6-10 hour long episodes to develop your story and characters. Plus studios the last decade have been very money conscious. The biggest films in the pre-COVID years were either kids movies and/or part of a franchise. So the studios go to the easy money of making more instead of backing one off films.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Imagine how upset they'd be about a current day Blazing Saddles. Probably one of the best comedies out there, nothing was safe from Mel Brooks...

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post