SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anybody watch Moon Night (new Marvel streaming series)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody watch Moon Night (new Marvel streaming series)? Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
So, I wasn't going to watch it. I just wasn't interested, based on the limited exposure I had to the marketing material/tv ads. My adult nephew loved it, so I caught the first episode 3 days ago.

Wow.

I was really impressed. The first episode captured me, the second upped the ante, the third put me to sleep, the 4th was good, and the 5th blew my mind. I watched the final episode today (there are only 6), and I was REALLY impressed with how good a show this was.

I had NO IDEA who Moon Knight was, and that's really not important. It's not necessary to know the history of the character, nor the history of the ancient Egyptian pantheon. Oscar Isaacs was AMAZING in this show (he was Po on the last 3 Star Wars movies). I mean, he REALLY sold it.

Marvel is really impressing me with their shows. Wandavision was a snoozer until the 3rd or so episode, and then it just kept getting better. Loki, conversely, started out awesome, but lost steam with each succeeding episode. Hawkeye was my favorite so far, with Moon Knight a close second. Falcon/Winter Soldier started out good, but it lost me forever when they WEPT over the dead terrorist, as if she was some kind of saint or something, and treated the 'fake' Capt America as if he were a madman for (get this) killing a terrorist. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Where?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
It's a new Marvel streaming series on Disney+.

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, very well made. I found the story to be a bit of a snoozer. Granted we haven’t found Amit or whoever yet but at this point o don’t care. The “war” between the 2 men in the same body got old pretty quick I thought. Still haven’t finished it. If you are right and it finishes well in the last 2 episodes I should give it another go.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I liked the original Moon Knight, not the re-write with split personality disorder (which is actually rater than an actual unicorn crapping solid gold bricks). The new TV series is based on the comic re-write.

I have the last two episdoes waiting and may get to them tomorrow. Since today is May 4th...be with you, I am watching Star Wars Episodes 4 through 6.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the character. I watched the first episode and was entirely too confused to believe I could continue to follow, so I didn't bother watching the follow-on episodes. I guess I should revisit it, after all.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it, but it wasn’t great. A lot more questions than answers, and a lot of things didn’t make sense to me. Didn’t care much for the split personality stuff (I guess it’s DID now) as it got a bit annoying at times swapping back and forth. Plus, they introduced a third personality that was never explained (I understand it’s in the comics, but he just sort of pops up in the series without any background). It seemed like the last episode was basically a rush job to finish the main story, with a lot of plot points never really explained. Did enjoy the the Hippo goddess, though. My favorite character.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The split personality thing is super irritating for sure but stick around it gets better. I was a fan of the original Moon Knight from the comics, so I didn't think I'd like this. Surprisingly, it was pretty good.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3500 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just finished this series. It surprised me a bit and I liked it. I thought it was going to be full of woke and corny. It was actually not bad at all, IMHO. It had a lot of elements of Fight Club, The Matrix and Memento in it with some twists here and there.

If you missed it, there was an after-credit scene in the finale episode that answered the mystery of the third identity.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Didn’t care much for the split personality stuff (I guess it’s DID now) as it got a bit annoying at times swapping back and forth.

I thought this was one of the best parts of the show. Isaacs did a great job playing both roles. I could tell who was who by his posture and mannerisms, even if he wasn't speaking (Marc was American; Steven (with a V) had a brit accent). Isaacs had a lot of scenes by himself (the 2 personalities talking/arguing), and he really sold it.

Hippo god was cool. I also liked the croc, though she was the villain.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason to watch beyond the first 30 seconds? It’s not exactly a Kubla Khan opening.

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Is there a reason to watch beyond the first 30 seconds? It’s not exactly a Kubla Khan opening.

Not sure how many shows would pass the 'first 30 seconds' test. . .

I liked it. Started out good, got sort of slow in the middle, finished good. I hated the first 2 episodes of WandaVision and stopped watching it, until they explained the weirdness in the 3rd episode or so (others in my household explained it to me and I watched the rest of the show from there on out).

Every show I have watched has 'snoozer episodes' (Babylon 5, both Battlestars Galactica, every single incarnation of Star Trek, Star Wars movies, etc etc etc). The only one that was consistently good for all the episodes (to me, at least) was Hawkeye.

Whatever. It's basically free to watch (assuming you already have a Disney+ account).

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever. It's basically free to watch (assuming you already have a Disney+ account).

So it costs whatever Disney+ costs. Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9140 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
split personality disorder (which is actually rater than an actual unicorn crapping solid gold bricks). .

Not to nit pick but on a scale of 1 (being super common) to 10 (being impossible) how would you rate these:

Having been a WW2 super soldier that was frozen until modern day?

A flying aircraft carrier?

A billionaire making a super high tech suit of armor instead of buying a mega yacht or, say, Twitter?

Being an ancient Norse god?

The ability to turn huge and green and super strong when pissed off?

The ability to really shoot arrows well?

Having a split personality?

And IMO Ocsar Isaac did a FANTASTIC job with the split personality acting. And I really enjoyed the Egyptian gods depiction.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:

So it costs whatever Disney+ costs. Big Grin

Eh. Tomatoh/tomattow. I didn't pay a cent for it (adult nephew living with us has the subscription).

I would have never watched it were it not already included in the Subscription.

I don't see many people subscribing just to watch a 6-episode show (Moon Knight, Loki, WandaVision, Hawkeye, etc).

Heck, I love Star Trek but won't pay for Paramount+ to see the new shows.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Heck, I love Star Trek but won't pay for Paramount+ to see the new shows.

That’s smart. Anything from JJ Abrams, or Bad Reboot(Bad Robot), or Alex Kurtzman is essentially garbage that’s ripping off other people’s work.

Feel free to watch Red Letter Medias latest take on Piccard. Mike goes on a Piccard impression speech at like the 35min mark that had me laughing pretty hard.

Rich and Mike are HUGE TNG and original series fans.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9140 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It was the first minute and a half or so. I turned it off when he started to put the shoes on. That was a real and literal turn off for me.

You guys must be young, because it costs something much more valuable than the price of a Disney+ subscription to watch. Time.

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remind me what the shoes were about?

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Remind me what the shoes were about?

He broke a glass and filled his shoes with the broken glass before wearing them all day. Walking on broken glass is sometimes used as a spiritual ritual to cleanse the soul, etc...

Similar to the way yogi’s would sleep on a bed of nails, broken glass therapy is a method to put you in a deep meditative state. This healing practice serves as a kind of acupressure. By stimulating the bodies ability to heal itself. Then removing energy blocks that interfere with your vital energy. When vital energy flows unobstructed, the body and mind function fluid. The removal can bring clarity that helps you face your fears and do things you didn’t imagine you could do.

https://www.lifeevents.org/blog/brokenglasstherapy

A good explanation here...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post