SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Suggestions on slide and films scanner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on slide and films scanner Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
For home use, not professional.

35mm slides and negatives...

Would like to spend under $250....

Kodak? Wolverine?

Thanks

JB

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo Jones,

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon 5000 Coolscan scanner, probably the best, and a stack loader to go with it.
I stopped using it, and instead use a Nikon ES-1 slide copier attachment, extension tubes, and a macro lens with a mirrorless camera. In my case I use an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II, which I can tether to my Mac with Olympus Capture; I use an LED light panel in front of the slide copier attachment for lighting.

This guy has a lot of experience in slide scanning with many different devices; and he recommends pretty much exactly that kind of setup (specifically the Nikon ES-1 copier attachment) rather than a film scanner (like the Coolscan). The film/slide scanner is prone to jams, and is slow (maybe 50 slides digitized overnight) compared with the digital camera with slide copier attachment.

I've spent a lot of time comparing quality of image in both, and prefer that of the camera.

Being able to tether the camera is a big plus because I can focus and crop on the big video monitor before clicking the shutter (on the computer, not the camera).

I tried the Wolverine, sent it back. Poor quality images.

The Nikon ES-1 is $60, the extension tubes maybe $20. The macro lens is nice but optional; wouldn't get one just for this but it does give a nice flat image. The ES-1 has a 52 mm thread; you can get 52 mm extension tubes, or you can get a set of stepped adapters if you want to fit a different sized extension set; that's what I did.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Epson V600 scanner is slightly above your price range at $280:

Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image, Film, Negative & Document Scanner

www.amazon.com/dp/B002OEBMRU/r...c_fabc_RcWcGbJ67XK2N

But Para bought one Smile :

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...780009464#9780009464

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post