SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lesser known older films on TCM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lesser known older films on TCM Login/Join 
posted
Post some of your favorite films you have seen on TCM that are worth viewing.

Night People {filmed in Berlin and Munich reminds us of how things were during the Cold War. Execellent performances by Gregory Peck and Broderick Crawford.}

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
13 Rue Madeleine. Jimmy Cagney in a WWII spy story.
Fury. Spencer Tracy. About a wrongful conviction.
Father Goose. One of my favorite Cary Grant films.
He plays a WWII beach bum.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
The Devil-Doll-1936
Lionel Barrymore is a wrongly convicted man who escapes prison and dresses like a woman in order to exact revenge. He makes people miniatures and then orders them to kill.

Trouble in Paradise-1932
Herbert Marshall, Kay Francis, Miriam Hopkins. Charles Ruggles, Edward Everett Horton.
A story of a con man, pick pocket and a wealthy woman.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not older (2006), but certainly lesser known, and I first saw it on TCM:

"I Served the King of England" - quirky, funny Czech film about a bumbling waiter experiencing the ups and downs of pre-war/WW2/post-war Czechoslovakia.

https://shop.tcm.com/i-served-...england/043396280250

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
13 Rue Madeleine. Jimmy Cagney in a WWII spy story.
Fury. Spencer Tracy. About a wrongful conviction.
Father Goose. One of my favorite Cary Grant films.
He plays a WWII beach bum.

And don’t forget about “Operation Petticoat”, the pink submarine, and busty clutzy “Nurse Crandall” who “sunk a truck”. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lesser known? Well, just looking at TCM's schedule for today- overnight, they aired A Page of Madness, a 1926 Japanese silent film which is unlike anything you've ever seen. I'd say that it certainly qualifies as being lesser known. Perhaps one person in a thousand knows this film. I guess you'd have to classifiy this film as experimental cinema.

Nowhere near that obscure, but still lesser known, is Carl Theodor Dreyer's early sound film, Vampyr, which is airing at 9 am EST today on TCM. It's not a typical horror film, far from it. It's a film you have to watch closely in order to absorb the mood which leeches through the frames as the film progresses. It's a very subtle thing and this mood does not take hold of the impatient.

I would say that both of these random choices I've made would bore the crap out of most people (or frustrate them, and this is especially likely in the case of A Page of Madness).

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I took a course in college called Screen Arts. Thought it would be easy. Not so, but learned a lot about history of film beginning with Great Train Robbery, Birth of a Nation {filmed with one camera} and a number of obscure foreign films. Enjoy that sort of thing.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post