SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Whiskey aficionados, help!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whiskey aficionados, help! Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Looking for a good whiskey,Jameson’s has been suggested. A lot of choices under that brand.

Which one, looking for something good, fifty dollar price limit, Christmas party gift, co-workers are in their late twenties to early 30’s.

I’m out of the loop, I infrequently drink and when I do it’s wine.

Also saw a Tequila, Centenario. I know years ago Jose Quervo marketed under that name, a golden Agave that was real smooth. This one I saw tonight was not a Quervo products I was hesitant.

Suggestions please for a quality product in a 750 ml bottle.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Jameson is delicious, and in this area not as expensive as your price limit,

good easy drinking likker,

Bourbon is also a good idea, Woodfords, Elijah Craig, Four Roses , Bulliet are all tasty and in that price point,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Woodford & Bulliet get a nod from this amateur.
Both make a great old fashioned.
Woodford is good on the rocks as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Having a wee nip of Jameson as we speak, er..., type.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Centenario. Stay away from any Quervo “golden agave” tequilas. Cuervo makes some good tequila, but any of their tequilas under $50, no son buenas. If you think you might want to bring tequila, try El Tesoro.

Are you a Costco member? If you are, and the warehouse you shop sells spirits, they have some really good deals on bourbons, all the time.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Of the UK whiskey's, I've only really sampled scotch, not irish whiskey. But I've been watching some videos and irish whiskey sounds like it may be to my liking, more than scotch.

Jameson's seems popular but there seems to be quite a liking for Redbreast, and 12 year over 15 year (although perhaps arguably and non-intuitively).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hard to go wrong with Crown Royal. Nothing wrong with Jameson either.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Which Jameson is recommended? Saw several different types.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Which Jameson is recommended? Saw several different types.

The original is what I would recommend. It is the green bottle with light-colored label.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Skip Jamesons. Bushmills is better. And for the price listed, Black Bush or Red Bush are both excellent upgrades from Bushmill's standard White Label.

For American Bourbon I recommend Knob Creek, Makers Mark, and Woodford. I would say stay away from flavored whiskeys. But if you friend has a sweet tooth Knob Creek Smoked Maple is amazing exception to the rule.

Scotch is a hard one to recommend. Flavors range from blended Whisky's that mute out any distinct flavors to the other end that tastes like fermented bog water on fire. Personally I like Highland Park 12. It is smokey enough to have a distinct flavor. But I'm not looking for the burnt peat in the glass. LOL

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
First, full disclosure.... I only drink bourbon .... any only real bourbon from Kentucky....

Jefferson's reserve or Woodfords...is my suggestion...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You can spend a lot more only to get a lot less.

Choose the Woodford Reserve.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on Bourbon. It must be from Kentucky and must be aged at least 4 years.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A $50 bourbon, I would buy Eagle Rare #1. Others in the list would be Makers Mark 101 or Cask Strength, Weller Special Reserve, Blade & Bow, or Four Roses Single Barrel.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Second the Eagle Rare, it has been plentiful around here at $39

Woodford Reserve has become my favorite readily available Bourbon for under $40

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woodford Reserve is the go to for affordable quality bourbon in a presentable bottle. There’s nothing off putting about it.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’ve been trying out Tullamore Dew. I also like Jameson and Bushmills, but I’m liking tullamore neat.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for Irish, I would consider Redbreast as a really nice and not stupidly expensive option. If you want something at a lower price point consider Powers.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Skip Jamesons. Bushmills is better. And for the price listed, Black Bush or Red Bush are both excellent upgrades from Bushmill's standard White Label.

This is a VERY contentious issue with entrenched fans of both Jamesons and Bushmills constantly facing off against each other.

As for which Jamesons, I'd recommend Black Barrel. If you happene to live where prices are lower than the national average, you might find the outstanding RedBreast for $50. Jameson's distills RedBreast FWIW.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

This is a VERY contentious issue with entrenched fans of both Jamesons and Bushmills constantly facing off against each other.

As for which Jamesons, I'd recommend Black Barrel. If you happene to live where prices are lower than the national average, you might find the outstanding RedBreast for $50. Jameson's distills RedBreast FWIW.

Indeed it is. In Ireland, “Gemsun.”

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post