SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert: Barry Lyndon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert: Barry Lyndon Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The film is long, 185 minutes. The film is sssssloooooooow.

So, if you have the attention span of the average human in this day and age, you will not care for Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, but if you wish to see a master at work and if you wish to see one of the most beautiful films ever, it's airing on TCM at 4:45 PM today.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've got it on DVD and just finished rewatching it the other day. If you've got the slightest interest in films, this one is a must see. You can also rent it from Amazon Prime for $3.99.

As I mentioned in another thread, Kubrick got an f 0.7 lens from Zeiss that they had developed for NASA. This allowed him to shoot many scenes using only candle light. I saw it on the big screen when it was first released and would gladly carry my ass to a theater to see it again.

I want the music from para's excerpt (D-minor Sarabande by G.F. Handel) to be played at my coronation. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen the film in the past and enjoyed it. Reminded me of Madame Bovary.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite Kubrick films. They are releasing them in 4k, remastering them. So far they have been brilliant. I've seen 4k version of the Shining, 2001, and FMJ. I have Orange inbound even though that film is painful for me to watch. And Spartacus is sitting in the theater waiting for the 3 hours I need. So they will get around to Lyndon and I will buy it. It truly is one of the best films I've ever seen. RIP Stanley. Still miss you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post