SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What're your favorite action/thriller movies made between 1980 and 2010?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What're your favorite action/thriller movies made between 1980 and 2010? Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I love The Hidden.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
In addition to some already listed:
Predator
Eraser
The Rock
Saving Private Ryan
Man on Fire

And your beginning date just missed: The Outlaw Josey Wales

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2012BOSS302,

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of good action/thriller movies between 1980-2010
Of course there are. How many meet the criteria outlined in the OP?

And I think we're losing track of the OP intent here too...

Ghostbusters COMEDY
Predator
Eraser
Back to the Future COMEDY/DRAMA
The Right Stuff DRAMA (as far as I can tell; haven't seen it; looks good though)
Apollo 13 DRAMA
Caddyshack COMEDY
Men in Black COMEDY
Home Alone COMEDY
The Rock
Toy Story COMEDY/DRAMA
Saving Private Ryan
Man on Fire

I know the genre thing is tricky, because it can be subjective, but that list wasn't even 50% inside the parameters.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Back To The Future qualifies as Action/Thriller while Men In Black is Action/Comedy. The others not so much.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite my anomosity towards most things Hollywood these days, I had been known in the past to partake in movie watching...and even buying a VHS, Laserdisc, DVD or BluRay every so often (more so yesteryear than today). I make no apologies for any duplications with lists by others:

First Blood
Blade Runner
Terminator 2
The first three Bourne movies
Collateral
Gettysburg
Independence Day
Changing Lanes
The Matrix
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Platoon (yeah I know all about the whack job director, but I didn't back then...so sue me. Plus that doesn't stop it from being an entertaining movie.)
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill

And I do admit to having a fondness for martial arts and Jet Li flicks, especially if they're made elsewhere:

Fist of Legend
Hero
Black Mask
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, among quite a few others

And for a couple (or so) that's NOT in your 31-year range:

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
47 Ronin (2013)

There are more, but I excluded anything whose backstory originated from a comic book, or if it felt like it originated from a comic book.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I know the genre thing is tricky, because it can be subjective, but that list wasn't even 50% inside the parameters.

Yea, you are right - somewhere my brain went from A/T to movies I liked. Happens when you get older.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the participation either way. I like movies in all genres; I wanted to keep this thread focused on action/thriller though.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
So as not to repeat anything, I'll simply add these three:
Sneakers
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World
The Bourne Identity

Posts: 12572 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Master and Commander is a favorite, and has coincidentally been on my mind lately. I intend to add a physical copy to my collection. But, I'd place it firmly in the drama genre.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Master and Commander is a favorite, and has coincidentally been on my mind lately. I intend to add a physical copy to my collection. But, I'd place it firmly in the drama genre.

^^^^^^^^^^
IMDb has it as "action, adventure, drama" so it isn't really clear cut in any specific genre but a combo of all three in my mind. So maybe not quite responsive to your question.

Posts: 12572 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The subjective nature of genre categorization makes this darn difficult. I might need to narrow the scope of the OP a bit.

Well, perhaps not. It's OK if people's categorizations vary a bit, so long as they stick to the criteria of having seen the film no less than three times (with plans to re-watch more in the future) and owning a physical copy.

I am trying to boil it down to folks' true favorites in the action/thriller/drama/horror genre(s), so long as the film has a healthy bit of action.

IMO, you can hardly call a movie made before 2010 a favorite unless you've seen it three or more times and own a copy.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Untouchables

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10564 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
Terminator 2 Judgement Day.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post