SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    We Were Soldiers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Were Soldiers Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ll be the one that comes out against the movie. I met Galloway, General Moore, and several of the other soldiers when I was at West Point when the book came out. They came and spoke several times to us, and the actions at X-ray, and the subsequent battles became sand table exercises for us, and we became intimately familiar with them. As we did with the actions portrayed in what would become Band of Brothers, and the battles at places like brecourt manor. The gross misrepresentation and pure fiction that is the end of that movie is just too much for me. Imagine, if you will, if in Band of Brothers, after Dick Winters finishes assaulting the guns at Brecourt Manor, instead of Speirs showing up, a bunch of P-51s suddenly did a bunch of low level passes and leveled the place. It was that ridiculous. I know Moore has said that war movies often are way inaccurate and he is happy that the X-ray story got told so he just takes the bad with the good, but I guess I’ll be the stubborn curmudgeon that doesn’t. Yes I know I wasn’t there. But I’ve heard the stories from the guys that were. And the stuff that happened after X-ray deserved to be represented in a manner that wasn’t that ridiculous helicopter charge scene

That experience, and those lectures and exercises, were some of my fsvorite of any of my time in the military.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I remember catching a short film of Tim Robbins and Quenten Tarantino interviewing this old guy who was a movie director and he said you could never make a real war movie....

That was Sam Fuller and he was in the 3rd wave at Omaha Beach....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
That movie taught me how fucked up I was over my first tour.

Came out while I was in high school and it was one of my favorites in college. First time I watched it was quite a bit after I got back, and I thought the bad shit was behind me. Then I got to the termite mound scene when LTC Moore explains to Galloway why he'll never forgive himself. And I came completely fucking unglued.

I can watch that movie now and it's still a very different kind of sad scene than before I left, but that started me trying to work on it.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
didn't realize Braveheart 3

Which one was 2?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
didn't realize Braveheart 3

Which one was 2?

I'm assuming it's The Patriot.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
They cut out one of the best scenes.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
AGREED!! That's why I sooooooo wish a screenplay had been written for the second half of the book. It's an ENTIRELY different story than what happened in LZ X-Ray the previous 2-3 days.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I know there’s a general aversion to renaming military bases because the base honored a Confederate officer. Maybe some consolation can be taken from the fact that Lieut Gen Harold Moore was born in Kentucky, but died in Auburn, Alabama. Here’s Mel Gibson’s take on General Moore and wife Julia receiving this honor.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m a bit surprised. I thought changing the name of Fort Benning would draw some responses.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I guess I’m a bit surprised. I thought changing the name of Fort Benning would draw some responses.

This isn't the thread for that. Start one in the Lounge or What's Yer Beef and you'll get LOTS of responses.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post