SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    1964 Movie - Fail Safe - with Henry Fonda
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1964 Movie - Fail Safe - with Henry Fonda Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

By Dawns Early Light was a good 80s version. It still remains great drama.

By Dawn's Early Light is an HBO original movie, aired in 1990 and set in 1991.

Eh. I was off by a year. Cool

I recall many people complained about having a female copilot on main B-52 (Rebecca Demornay with Powers Booth), but just a few years later, the USAF started posting female pilots in bombers.

I still enjoy that movie. The acting and drama were superb.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

Another good cold war movie that I've enjoyed is The Bedford Incident
"If he fires one, I'll FIRE ONE."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

And, Ensign Ralston did.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had read that Henry Fonda had said that if he knew that Dr. Strangelove was coming out, he would not have made Failsafe.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have never seen the movie, but did read the novel....

IMO one of the few instances in which the movie was better than the book, much better.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO one of the few instances in which the movie was better than the book, much better.

Absolutely. The movie stands up very well even after all these years. It builds tension and suspense from start to finish. You can feel the tension as the pilots head towards Moscow. Some members in the Air Force command structure mentally collapse under the pressure as we head towards a nuclear war. The wife of the pilot headed towards Moscow pleads hysterically with her husband to break off the attack. The American pilot who drops the nuke on New York commits suicide. And the remarkable part of the movie is that it's all believable. There is no overacting or phony hysteria. None of it comes across as being "over the top." I put it definitely among the top 10 movies ever made.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Eric Portman was superb as the NATO Commodore advisor, Wolfgang Schrepke Deutsche Merine in the Bedford Incident.

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another good cold war movie that I've enjoyed is The Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I could imagine something like this incident being more likely to occur than something like Fail Safe.

It nearly did, in the runup to the Cuba Crisis, though it wasn't known at the time the movie was filmed.

quote:
Soviet submarine B-59 (Russian: Б-59) was a Project 641 or Foxtrot-class diesel-electric submarine of the Soviet Navy. It played a key role near Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when senior officers—out of contact with Moscow and the rest of the world, believing they were under attack and possibly at war—considered firing a T-5 nuclear torpedo at US ships.

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_B-59

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
quote:
Another good cold war movie that I've enjoyed is The Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I could imagine something like this incident being more likely to occur than something like Fail Safe.

It nearly did, in the runup to the Cuba Crisis, though it wasn't known at the time the movie was filmed.

quote:
Soviet submarine B-59 (Russian: Б-59) was a Project 641 or Foxtrot-class diesel-electric submarine of the Soviet Navy. It played a key role near Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when senior officers—out of contact with Moscow and the rest of the world, believing they were under attack and possibly at war—considered firing a T-5 nuclear torpedo at US ships.

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_B-59

It was Vasily Alexandrovich Arkhipov, on that Soviet sub who refused to order a nuclear torpedo fired at a US warship.

Most likely prevented an all out nuclear war with the Soviet Union.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

And, Ensign Ralston did.

Wasn't that James MacArthur, Dan'l from Hawaii 5-0

Posts: 245 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, James MacArthur on Fire Control...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16369 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post