SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Samsung QLED 4k TV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung QLED 4k TV Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
After my Sharp Aquos gave up the ghost after 17 good years I shopped and finally picked up a Samsung Qled 4k. These days since swapping over to streaming I use an Apple TV 4k device for the apps. I finally got it sync'd with the wi-fi and Bluetooth with other devices, phone, computer, internet and it was a breeze to set up. I used the scanning device with my iPhone camera for a lot of auto set up options by scanning the codes. Saved a lot of setup time and imputing info.

When I finally watched some of the 4k streaming stuff the picture quality was so sharp and crisp it seemed as if it could cut your eyes. I'm a late bloomer to this newer TV tech and it's unreal, almost like you could step into the scene right into the set it was so clean. Additionally 17yrs ago my Sharp Aquos was $1200 for a small set, this Samsung was half of that and thin as a pencil at 18lbs compared to almost 50lbs for the smaller Sharp. These are bracket wall mounted units for my bedroom.

I can't even imagine 8k on the horizons. The current 8k line up is $$ I could never afford it today. If my Sharp set didn't give up the ghost I'd still be happy watching it.

Btw, in the last thread I mentioned the newer Apple TV 4k remote. It looks like I won't be even using it as the Samsung remote controls all the devices and has a much appreciated mute button for the pesky commercials on certain TV apps. Also, no more batteries, the remote can be charged using indoor lighting with it's solar charger on the back, or plug into a usb-c.

Pretty nice especially at half the price of the Sharp so many years ago.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I've just been watching a movie on the Samsung and fiddling with some of the menu's and settings. Reading the online manual and watching Youtube videos and started thinking about the whole streaming setup.

I may be wrong because I'm a total newbie with this TV but, after giving it some thought I'm not sure that an Apple TV streaming device or ROKU is needed to setup and get streaming apps. Everything so far has been almost completely dependent on the TV. It's preloaded with apps from the factory, and the remote has Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Samsung TV buttons to access these streaming services. In addition you can add other apps from what I've been reading and trying to figure out.

I may be wrong about this but included in the list of factory apps it does have Apple TV+ loaded already...Again, I'm new at this.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I think 8k is pointless unless you are going over 100” screen (Projector turf).

The 4k quality (HDR10/Dolby Vision) on 4k blu ray is stunning. I loathe streaming because the audio is so compressed and limited range but the picture quality is solid. Those discs though. Better than the commercial cinemas!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I’m moving to a new house and ended up getting a Samsung Neo QLED 8K because I got a deal for $2,750 with an additional $300 gift card at my electronics store. It was practically the same price as the higher end 4K OLED TVs and after playing with my Mini-LED iPad Pro, you have to go to extremes to get the gray colored blacks on lower end LCDs (or YouTube compression that makes OLEDs bloom because it saves 1 byte of storage).. It’s great for future proofing with my 8K Denon receiver, but at regular price of $3,600, it’s definitely not worth it.

As far as streaming, the only thing not built into Samsung Smart TVs that should be is Google Chromecast. If you have matching apps on your phone and your TV you can use Chromecast, but other online apps like Twitch are buggy at best. If you have an iPhone, you can use AirPlay to screen mirror, but is very twitchy. If you have a Samsung phone, you can use Samsung Screen Mirror, but I’m not sure if you can use the TV Remote for rewind/fast forward or if you’re stuck using your phone.

It’s not quite as good as the Sony TVs that run Google TV, but you likely won’t need any streaming box period with the Samsung.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's a great TV.
Essentially it's a two horse race by Samsung's QLED vs the LG (and Sony) QLED.
BOTH are great.
MY next will be the Sony OLED but absolutely nothing wrong with the Samsung's.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I previously had my Sharp Aqous mounted on a strong pull out bracket, like a swing arm type deal in my bedroom. This is the 43" Qled and it's perfect. So far all the streaming apps work great and for the price I couldn't be happier. I've still have a lot to learn about navigating my way around and all the features but it's loaded. I'm still a bit puzzled about the solar charger remote just how it stays charged indoors but I charged it out of the box using a usb-c and it works fine. The instructions state it will charge using indoor lighting so we shall see.

Dan, you're correct about the Apple TV+ app, no additional device needed. Though I initially connected my Apple 4k device thru HDMI, it wasn't until I turned on the Samsung to see the app was already loaded with the TV. Everything is working great with the wi-fi.

Next I have to reinstall my OTA outdoor antenna with the Tablo DVR box and get it connected to the wi-fi network. I mainly use it for recording two sci-fi shows and it has the auto commercial skip feature for the commercials on the local networks.

So far it was a good decision and more than pleased with the results. I still have a lot to learn about the features but for $600 it's a great deal.

smschulz, I'm not real sure these 70yr old eyes could tell the difference between OLED/QLED honestly. Smile

Additionally by the time 8k is in full bloom with lots of content I'll likely be watching it in heaven Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

The Sony OLED is gorgeous. Of all the OLEDs I think Sony makes the best. However, I use my TV as a monitor for work so I'd have plenty of static images burned into an OLED in no time which is why I went with Samsung.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Will, I looked into dumping cable a while back but never pulled the trigger. Did you consider any other DVR's than the Tablo, why'd you go with that one in particular?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:

The Sony OLED is gorgeous.
Of all the OLEDs I think Sony makes the best.
However, I use my TV as a monitor for work so I'd have plenty of static images burned into an OLED in no time which is why I went with Samsung.

Yeah, I understand from what I have heard that recent OLED versions are much better for that.
Like my current 10 year old Samsung Plasma that has the GOLF Channel logo burned into the corner. Eek
The burn-in issue was an initial concern but after a lot of research I don't think it will be a problem.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a Samsung QLED and a LG OLED. In general the Samsung 8 and 9 series are the best in a bright room where you might have reflections on the screen. In a dark room the OLED's have the best picture of any TV. The OLED's just have a little more reflective screen in a bright room and it can be an annoyance.

I have computers hooked up to my QLED and OLED but have found that a good Ultrawide Monitor is nicer to use for my computer work. The 16/9 aspect ratio on TV's just isn't as convenient as have a double or triple wide screens that aren't separated my monitor bezels like they would in a double screen setup.

I can show pics if anyone is interested.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Will, I looked into dumping cable a while back but never pulled the trigger. Did you consider any other DVR's than the Tablo, why'd you go with that one in particular?

Mike, I actually started using the cloud based DVR's for recording with services like HULU, SLING, and PHILO but the monthly charges were high and I wanted to keep my costs down. So I read a lot of reviews and there are some very good streaming DVR's like TIVO, Amazon and others.

I purchased the Tablo because they offered a special OTA outdoor antenna installation in my area for $99 for the install of a televise diginova boss antenna and would also do the indoor hook up to the Tablo unit and set it up on the wi-fi. I'm not physically capable of doing that kind of thing myself these days so it was a bargain, and the installer was from DISH that came out. Excellent installation btw and a very nice guy.

My choice of this unit was mainly based on this antenna installation and the auto commercial skip feature of the Tablo, which I couldn't be happier with. I've read good things about the TiVo's and Amazon Fire DVR's also.

Hopefully ensigmatic will chime in here as he has very insightful info on these streaming devices as well. I'm just basically learning by trial and error. Thank God for free trial subscriptions and no cancellation fee's for swapping services...that is so far anyway!

YouTube has some great videos on all these products and services if you have the time.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
If you are planning to use an antenna, look to TV models that support ATSC 3.0. It is the new "Next Gen TV" system coming out. Any station going to it will have to support ATSC 1.0 for a few years per the rules, then may stop broadcasting it. ATSC 1.0 tuners are NOT compatible with ATSC 3.0.

At this point the only 4K TV Samsung has that supports ATSC 3.0 is the Neo QLED 9-series unit.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Gonna try and pick up a Sony OLED this Christmas buying season

quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:

The Sony OLED is gorgeous. Of all the OLEDs I think Sony makes the best. However, I use my TV as a monitor for work so I'd have plenty of static images burned into an OLED in no time which is why I went with Samsung.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at replacing my Mitsubishi DLP with either a Sony KD85X91CJ or a Sony XBR85X81CH

both are 4k UHD LED LCD

leaning towards the 91CJ as a better display - looked at them side by side and the differences are visually marginal

anyone have any experience?

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Samsung QLED, they're a very nice and a great value. UHD is worth very penny.

Just brought a Sony XBR-65A8H OLED home, and it's simply stunning. Considered the LG OLED, but felt like the Sony processing was better, and I just prefer Japanese electronics for reliability. I had some Best Buy gift cards from work, and they matched Amazon on price, discounting it from $2499 to $1794. Took a few weeks to win the size battle with my wife, she preferred the 55", but she's not objecting now.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the DVR info, Will. I initially looked into streaming because, over the years, I've had a couple Charter/Spectrum DVR cable boxes go bad. I lost irreplaceable stuff, pretty PO'd to say the least. I think they are cloud based now (?) but I wish I had hard copies of stuff time to time. I kind of gave up on the whole notion as streaming costs added up beyond expectations.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Thanks for the DVR info, Will. I initially looked into streaming because, over the years, I've had a couple Charter/Spectrum DVR cable boxes go bad. I lost irreplaceable stuff, pretty PO'd to say the least. I think they are cloud based now (?) but I wish I had hard copies of stuff time to time. I kind of gave up on the whole notion as streaming costs added up beyond expectations.

Mike, I originally went the way of streaming from that original long streaming thread and all the various different options and helpful suggestions. I wanted to get out from under ATT Direct TV that was killing me with a monthly $185-190 mo bill for just kinda a basic package. Also every year or two depending on the contract having to call them and renegotiate my bill and threaten to jump ship to keep my bill down..that got old fast. And the pre-cancellation fees they nail you with if you jump ship before the end of your contract. I waded my way thru all the streaming advice and reviews and tried PHILO, SLING, HULU, NETFLIX, with their additional cloud based DVR services and it pushed costs upwards again. My whole intent was in keeping costs down and the real appeal was a lot of these providers had free trials with zero cancellation fees. So after several months I've settled on Amazon Prime for the movies and extras if I want to rent a show, that is $12.99mo, and purchased a Tablo dual-lite DVR with an OTA antenna for the free locals. I only wanted the DVR to record 2 sy-fy shows Manifest and Debris series. I don't watch the local network programing for any news or sports. And I can't stand the local commercial breaks so the Tablo DVR has an auto commercial skip feature that after it records your scheduled show, it cuts out the commercials automatically, the show just jumps thru them in a flash to keep the shows continuity. Very cool feature. Also the Tablo I purchased has an external 1TB usb hard drive (purchased separately) that stores your recorded programs. If the DVR tanks my recorded content is backed up on the ext HD. I subscribed to the lifetime subscription with Tablo and bought their DVR box outright. So I get my local sy-fy shows for free OTA and if needed I have the local news for weather during hurricane season. The OTA antenna I purchased picks up 45 channels clear as a bell (Florida is flat) and I live outside the city so no real obstructions and pick up channels up to 70mi away.

So in the end, I now pay $75mo for ATT internet 100, and $12.99 mo for Amazon. There is a lot of free streaming services but have ads. You will pay a small uncharge for no-ads or additional charge if you want their cloud based DVR services. Lots of options. With the streaming options I chose, since I'm homebound, I can watch 15-18hrs a day of streaming content. All movies and shows I do a search for. I don't sleep well these days and sleep in a recliner because I haven't slept in the bed for a few years because of the numbness from stroke on the left side of my body, it's impossible to get comfortable so I sleep in a recliner, and what better entertainment than TV while I'm reclined. Smile

Regards, Will G.