SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    We've taken Aqaba
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We've taken Aqaba Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
Watching some videos last night, I stumbled onto this short story about the making of Lawrence of Arabia.
The technology of the time, or lack of, made the scenes even more amazing. An all time classic in many ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE1jTDaaThk

Steven Spielberg talking about his experiences learning his craft from a master.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56lNiRzpEbg

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A huge great movie. A side benefit from watching it is a history lesson we need to understand our world today.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8533 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, lot's of problems we're still dealing with today were created around the WW1 era.

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The funny-looking flying machines and vehicles, combined with "herky-jerky" motion photography makes it easy to forget how destructive WWI was.

Posts: 28632 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A beautiful film which has stood the tests of time.

Posts: 13860 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I actually finally watched this for the first time last night. I thought it was good but not as great as it's been lauded for my whole life. Can someone explain its historical significance for me or point me to where I can read about it? It really felt like Charlie Wilson's War part 0.

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Sykes-Picot Agreement explained.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MuSwp17e4fI

The Long Shadow of the Great War still haunts us today.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2795 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I actually finally watched this for the first time last night. I thought it was good but not as great as it's been lauded for my whole life. Can someone explain its historical significance for me or point me to where I can read about it? It really felt like Charlie Wilson's War part 0.

I'd suggest a quick read through articles about TE Lawrence first for those that don't know his story. That would put a lot of events in the movie into context.