SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    James Drury, Star of 'The Virginian,' Dies at 85
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Drury, Star of 'The Virginian,' Dies at 85 Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted
The Virginian was one of my favorite TV shows as a child and James Drury as the nameless foreman of Shiloh Ranch was one of my favorite characters. He was in a lot of movies and TV shows before The Virginian but was sort of type-cast by the role and found future roles fewer and farther between. He was a regular in the short-lived series Firehouse, played the captain in Walker, Texas Ranger for a few early eps, and did two episodes really cross-character as Ethan Emerson, the San Fran banker of bankers on The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. He passed away Monday, April 6, at age 85. Rest in peace, Mr. Drury.

https://www.hollywoodreporter....inian-was-85-1039156

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this yesterday also.
Have really been enjoying "Virginian" episodes on the Westerns Channel the past 2 years (never saw/heard of it prior). He played/made a fine film cowboy. He was also a fine rider and it showed.
Sad to see him pass; RIP Virginian!

Posts: 343 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr Drury

I had the pleasure of meeting him once, back in 1995 (?) when I was working at an open air flower shop in downtown Houston to earn a couple extra $$ to pay for my wedding while I was in grad school.

He was very cordial, gracious and friendly. He was very happy to tell me about some current roles he was filming for the reboot of the Kung Fu series. All in all, seemed like a terrific guy.

quote:
Originally posted by Sacramento Johnson:
Saw this yesterday also.
Have really been enjoying "Virginian" episodes on the Westerns Channel the past 2 years (never saw/heard of it prior). He played/made a fine film cowboy. He was also a fine rider and it showed.
Sad to see him pass; RIP Virginian!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
RIP.
Really like him and he was here in Houston too!.

Posts: 23186 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I really liked 'The Virginian' and I'm sure I watched every one of them. I'd like to watch them again.

RIP Mr. Drury.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I really liked 'The Virginian' and I'm sure I watched every one of them. I'd like to watch them again.

RIP Mr. Drury.

Jim

Jimbo, if you can't find it on a streaming service, INSP runs 2 episodes of The Virginian weekdays starting at noon Eastern Time (original 90 minute format), and GRIT does the same starting at the same time but cuts in more commercials for a 2 hour format. Episodes often play on the weekend, too. These both cover seasons 1-8. I sometimes watch the first 30 minutes of an ep during lunch, but never see the end. There was an ad somewhere recently for Season 9, which was renamed The Men from Shiloh with a new theme and a somewhat different format, but I don't remember where and haven't caught any of those eps since their original run in 1970-71.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the show when it first came on - and still watch it on Grit.
Really didn't know where Medicine Bow was when I was young; now have driven through the town several times.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That show had great opening theme music. I used to have to hit the hay when that show came on but was allowed to catch the theme music before doing so...

Posts: 13860 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I saw this yesterday online and I was sad to read it. I had just rediscovered the show in the last year. I'm retired now so I have more opportunities
to watch. It's a good show that I really enjoy - daytime television is wasteland.

I liked his cowboy creed:

"If it ain't true don't say it.
If it ain't yours don't take it.
If it ain't right don't do it."

Posts: 1445 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Just saw this today.
Frown

I’ve watched the Virginian almost 5x per week on the Starz Western channel for the past couple years, and have really grown to like it.

Saw an interview with him and seemed very genuine and down to earth. I’ll miss him.

On a side note, I just saw Clu Gulager (Deputy Ryker) in “Once upon a time in Hollywood” last week

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post