SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Alien on the high seas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alien on the high seas Login/Join 
posted
I just got back from Last Voyage of the Demeter and enjoyed it quite a bit. Basically its a horror movie about the ship that transports Dracula's coffin from Romania to London. It sets a good mood, has good performances and is well executed.

If you like the genre, I recommend it. Much like Titanic, you already know what happens if you are familiar with Dracula but, if how done it is as fun as who done it to you then its good. Initial reactions from all who saw it in my party compared similarly to Alien with some Thing vibes. Its not Shakespeare but it was a good movie I'd return to.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, this sounds....

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
But wait...

I thought that Twilight was the ultimate vampire movie.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if you ask my wife…

Posts: 7526 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if it was twilight vampires, the sailors would be in very different but no less horrifying trouble.

In fairness I have never actually seen twilight, so it might be a great movie however, I'll put it in the same category as sewer rat tasting like pumpkin pie.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it did pretty bad at the box office this weekend. My first thought when I saw the first trailer is that it looks like Alien at sea, and all of the subsequent trailers reinforced that. Showing the monster quite clearly in the trailer didn’t help either. Plus, you know how it has to end. Dracula wins and kills everyone.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, guess I can skip that one then. Thanks a whole lot.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Well, guess I can skip that one then. Thanks a whole lot.

I understand that there was no: **SPOILERS** alert but to be fair, the story is about 125 years old. I think the statute of limitations re: un/fair use of spoilers was over a long time ago.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
We saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was fantastic. Beautifully filmed. Acting was excellent. Set the mood perfectly.

What I thought was brilliant was that they took a few obscure pages from classic literature and turned it into a fully-formed, well-thought movie.

I would love to see more movies take this creative approach. Like Black Sails, which was a five-season backstory to Treasure Island.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6051 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I happened to watch this last night and thought it was fantastic. I really dug the ending. Yes you know the story if you’ve read Dracula but the movie is really well done across the board.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Due to the resurrection of this thread (rather appropriately) I decided to give this movie a go. Agree with the last two reviews. Thought it was very good on all counts.

Direction was nice and taut, though it was simple adherence to the familiar plotline: what could have done this?...there's a something after us...we have to defend ourselves...no, we have to go after it to survive...it cost us a few more lives, but the plan worked...or did it?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post