SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ghost of Tsushima - Now on Steam for PC.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost of Tsushima - Now on Steam for PC. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I have purposely stayed away from discussion of this game for fear of spoiling it because based on the videos and talk I have seen, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for in a game for some time: straight up historical samurai combat and open world exploration of feudal Japan with gorgeous production value, and none of the modern day Japanese artistic anime-tinged flavor to it.

Anyone else play through the original PS5 release? Anyone else picking this up on PC? I’m gonna wait for a sale on it, but I am absolutely getting this game.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Started it last night. Runs smooth as glass in my machine with everything maxed and it’s visually stunning. I’m still in the very beginning stages, so I can’t really give a fair appraisal of the game play yet, but the combat is similar to the Arkham games in that it’s based off of timed attacks and parries. So far I’m extremely impressed.

And did I mention the graphics? Anyone remember playing RDR2 and finally getting out of the snow and getting a look at just how good the world looked with the sun coming through the trees? Same experience.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
With the debacle that is the forced PSN account requirement for this and all future Playstation ports, I'll be staying away.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18089 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I get it, but the PSN is only required for multiplayer. I haven’t had a PSN account in years. I get people getting deeply annnoyed when they enabled it in Helldivers, but they made the requirement clear going in on Ghost.

I’m really enjoying this one so far. Do you stick to your honor or embrace the effective but dishonorable methods of the assassin?

“A samurai lives by a code of honor, and dies by it. I will never betray my code.” Literally seconds later I’m sneaking through an enemy encampment stabbing every mongol I see in the back to recover some cheese.

“I did what I had to do.”

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I mean, as far as having to sign into a PSN account goes, if I want to play RDR2, I have to sign into Rockstar Games. If I want to play AC Origins, I have to sign into Ubisoft Connect. If I want to play BF23423421, I have to sign into EA. I have Steam, Amazon, Epic Games, GOG, and I'm just going to go ahead and stop looking at it because I think I've made my point. Everyone's got to have their own fucking content delivery and account service these days, so really, what's one more?

As for the game itself, I'm super stoked for this. I don't know if the timing is coincidental or not, but I learned of this coming to PC (I'd written it off) the same day I saw the abysmal new Assassin's Creed trailer. Finally, they make one set in feudal Japan, and one of the two protagonists is a black guy with dreads. Ubisoft can kiss my dick.

Hoping for a Steam summer sale with GoT. I'm jonesing for some samurai action pretty bad. I also played the crap out of Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven years ago, and this looks like a good mix of both. Regarding Legends and needing an account, I played a lot of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory coop with a couple of friends. There wasn't a hell of a lot of content there, but we got hours and hours out of it. Legends looks like it's the feudal Japanese version of that, so I would be willing to go with a paid account for a while if I had someone to play through it with.

Back to the singleplayer, I mean... just look at this.

This guy had a video I watched prior that was fairly spoiler free, just outlining some game mechanics. I sat through that one and then saw this one. So far, looks like it's just a really great port and looks absolutely gorgeous on PC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
I played the PS4 version. Awesome game. Take your time and soak it all in.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I can't remember when I actually bought a game new and paid full price. Really, I'm thinking about it, and it's been since maybe Battlefield 3. Everything since then, I pick it up on sale when they're 30% off or better, usually discounted even more. I just went ahead and bought Ghost of Tsushima, and it's installing now. I'm gonna take my time with this one.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Started it last night. Runs smooth as glass in my machine with everything maxed and it’s visually stunning. I’m still in the very beginning stages, so I can’t really give a fair appraisal of the game play yet, but the combat is similar to the Arkham games in that it’s based off of timed attacks and parries. So far I’m extremely impressed.

And did I mention the graphics? Anyone remember playing RDR2 and finally getting out of the snow and getting a look at just how good the world looked with the sun coming through the trees? Same experience.

So, I'm at this amount of time into it, and this is all spot-on. This game is absolutely gorgeous. There's places where it's obvious that it's a "last gen" game with a fresh coat of paint on it with the DLSS and upsampling and all that, but the art design and attention to detail really knocks it out of the park. Vibes. This game has them. I wasn't sure how it would run on my machine, since it's an older I7 with a bunch of RAM and an RTX3070 jammed in there, but it runs incredibly smooth with everything set to max and the lighting set to DLSS. I haven't min/maxed it yet, but I'm not seeing a need to. This game looks better than AC Valhalla and runs better. I found myself getting resentful at Ubisoft last night playing GOT. It looks beautiful, it runs great, and they put a lot of thought into gameplay mechanics and don't spoon-feed everything to you. I don't know how hard that is, but apparently Ubisoft can't pull those things off.

So far my only gripe is the horse riding mechanics aren't nearly as smooth as RDR2, but they've gotten everything else so right thus far.