SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fyre Festival Documentary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fyre Festival Documentary Login/Join 
posted
One of the benefits of working from home is I'll run a show that I'm mildly interested in the background while working. So I see a bunch of media talking about how both Netflix and Hulu have both released documentary shows about the ill-fated Fyre Festival. If you're not aware, look it up; if there's seminal example of millennial's doing stupid, Fyre Festival wins the prize.

This show really highlighted both the gall and know-nothingness of the organizers, and the gullibility of the ticket/concert buyers. Most of those interviewed are complicit in bilking people out of their money. The people who attended are equally guilty of the Insta-Whore culture that's developed around social media and the need to be first in-line for a trend with the wealthy and famous. The many contractors left holding the bag should've been smart enough to recognize the shit-show that was developing, pop'd smoke and got-out ..but they didn't, they went along for some actually enabling. If you got 90-minutes to kill and want to laugh at a bunch of 20-30 somethings...

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. Fyre Festival.

Where some 20-something trust fund jackhole decided he could make a bunch more money by trying to slap together a highfalutin music festival for other 20-something trust fund jackholes, and failed miserably, resulting in a whole slew of whiny 20-something trust fund jackholes being stranded on an island, plus $20-something million in missing investor funding, and the original 20-something trust fund jackhole eventually getting 20-something years in federal poundyouintheass prison for wire fraud.

Life's tough, 20-something trust fund jackholes. Get a helmet.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have been showing my employees the "take one for the team" scene to show them how good they have it here. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I saw the Netflix one a few days ago. What a fucking joke the entire thing was.

Until I watched it I did not know that “influencer” was a thing. But apparently you can make stupid amounts of money “influencing” a bunch of millenial mushheads.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Until I watched it I did not know that “influencer” was a thing. But apparently you can make stupid amounts of money “influencing” a bunch of millenial mushheads.

The beauty and pitfalls of social media. It's the new economy where large number of lawmakers (see Congressional hearings) and the public, haven't wrapped their head around what's going on, meanwhile those who have, are doing nothing but...taking pics, hitting send and cashing checks. The gullible and impressionable are simply willful pawns and their stupidity was played-out in the Bahamas.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My wife has been watching those lately. I heard about it a couple of a years ago on the Adam Carolla podcast Reasonable Doubt with Mark Gerigos who is involved in the post litigation.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I watched the one on Netflix and found it worth the watch. Telling how many people were willing to turn a blind eye to what was going on.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ah yes. Fyre Festival.

Where some 20-something trust fund jackhole decided he could make a bunch more money by trying to slap together a highfalutin music festival for other 20-something trust fund jackholes, and failed miserably, resulting in a whole slew of whiny 20-something trust fund jackholes being stranded on an island, plus $20-something million in missing investor funding, and the original 20-something trust fund jackhole eventually getting 20-something years in federal poundyouintheass prison for wire fraud.

Life's tough, 20-something trust fund jackholes. Get a helmet.

I think he got 6 years.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nice story around the women who's catering business was ruined.
https://www.marketwatch.com/st...an-160000-2019-01-22
quote:
This GoFundMe page for a restaurant burned by Fyre Fest has raised more than $160,000

Donations are pouring in for the Bahamian restaurant owners featured on the Netflix Fyre Fest documentary.

Fyre Fest burned many investors, ticket holders and Bahamian businesses, but the plight of one Exuma Island restaurant owner in particular has opened hearts — and wallets.

Maryann Rolle of the Elvis Rolle restaurant reveals in the new Netflix documentary “Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened” that she and her staff toiled around the clock dishing 1,000 meals and drinks a day for festival staff running up to the 2017 festival failure, as well as for stranded festival goers during that infamous April weekend. She claims that after Fyre Festival organizers stiffed her, she had to pay her staff $50,000 out of her own life savings.

So the restaurant owners created a GoFundMe page last week to capitalize on the renewed publicity that Fyre Fest is getting in the wake of both Netflix and Hulu releasing documentaries revealing how what was supposed to be a luxury Coachella in the Caribbean fell apart. The online fundraiser met its $123,000 goal in under a week, and has now reached $161,000 and counting as of Tuesday, after viewers including Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson shared their sympathy for Elvis and Maryann Rolle on Twitter.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Good for her. I'm sure the locals got fucked on that deal (Fyre).

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just watched both the Hulu doc and the Netflix one.

These were an absolute hoot. If you want to see what FUBAR looks like, check out these films. I laughed myself silly.

And I really do recommend watching both films. They kinda give two different perspectives of the same crap storm.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post