SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Scott Derrickson horror flicks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scott Derrickson horror flicks Login/Join 
posted
I am quite fond of the horror film genre. As a kid I was terrified of scary movies, and steered clear until I was about nineteen. The movie that pulled me into the fold was The Exorcism of Emily Rose; I was raised Catholic, and I guess the subject matter resonated with me. I didn't pay any attention to who directed what, back when I saw and liked that film, and not until years later did I realize the guy who directed it has a very impressive, IMO, horror resume.

Before I realized how many of my favorites Scott directed, I had seen and liked Hellraiser: Inferno, Sinister, and Deliver Us from Evil. After realizing he was the link in all of those, I sought out his most recent film, The Black Phone, which is based on a short story written by Stephen King's son.

All of the films I mentioned above are awesome. His entire filmography isn't without flaw, including an unfortunate foray into the "Marvel Universe", but the bulk of it is legit, and everything in the horror genre is solid. The best, IMO, is undoubtedly Sinister, with Deliver Us and Black Phone tied for second place. The Hellraiser flick is very good, and should be approachable even for those who aren't Hellraiser fans, as it isn't necessarily "cannon". I don't hold Emily Rose in as high regard as I did initially, largely because I watched it too much when I was first enamored with it, but it is widely accepted as a good flick anyway.

He's a director worth checking out, for horror fans.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sinister was pretty good. I still remember jumping at the lawnmower part.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Didn't he also do the awful "The Day The Earth Stood Still" remake?

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He did indeed, which is why I clarified that I do not vouch for his entire filmography.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post