SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Once Upon A Time In The West...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once Upon A Time In The West... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
...showed up on my Netflix Smile Sergio Leone had a way with sounds and other small details that made great movie Smile...excellent cast not to mention Ennio Morricone’s musical score...Watched it this morning Razz

Very good cast...

The opening scene with Jack Elam is priceless

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/QML28YQBvyc

“Did you bring a horse for me?”...”You brought two too many”

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/8XkHsinz7oU

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Kind of divisive as far as westerns go, people seem to love it or hate it. A wonderful, almost painfully slow opening scene. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this film lately, did not know it was on Netflix. Thanks, I'll be watching it tonight.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I always wondered how they trained the fly for its role. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just did a search on my Roku TV and found it free on American Classics streaming channel. Haven't seen it in a long time. Now queued up! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Kind of divisive as far as westerns go, people seem to love it or hate it.

What reasons do people give for hating it?

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I guess mostly because it's unlike the Leone westerns that came before it.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

A friend says he absolutely can not stand the harmonica music in this movie so after having watched it once way back when, he said never again.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be a lot shorter if they eliminated the facial closeups.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't need taut and fast paced all of the time but OUATITW is sloth-slow for long sections at a time. I have seen it all but I've never been able to watch it in one sitting. And yes, the harmonica is really annoying to me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As for the audio / sounds and music in the movie. Y'all know it was all done in the studio after filming.. even the dialog.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Always watch that flick when it comes on.

Close-up's, a Leone trademark.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The greatest western ever made, by a mile.

Claudia Cardinale doesn't hurt.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqw6aFrlGEE" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Nice touch !! Cool

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed it but the opening scene could have a few hours trimed away.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Picked this movie up a few years ago on DVD and one of the extras was a running commentary by different directors and actors about different scenes in the movie and so I decided to watch this extra first before watching the movie.... what I did not realize until it was almost over was the commentary was on the whole movie....pretty interesting and fun to watch.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The harmonica was about annoying as the pan flute in Once Upon a Time In America. He did the same thing there. I get it already, Ennio.

Both good films, but both could stand to be a bit shorter, honestly. I dunno if I would go so far as to say it’s the greatest western ever made, by a mile. That’s a pretty stout claim.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340: Dire Straits

Beat me to it. Great song. Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

A friend says he absolutely can not stand the harmonica music in this movie so after having watched it once way back when, he said never again.

My wife says the harmonica gives her nightmares.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post