SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Can't have any cleverness going on in F1. Oh no, let's make a bunch of incredibly complex rules to box everyone in to an almost unmanageable set, then expect nobody to find ways to exploit engineering opportunities in that rule set.

Engineering challenges and one-upmanship in F1? What is the world coming to? Oh, the humanity!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
Just ordered my USGP tickets. Went with T4 this year instead of T9.

Pre-sale went live at 10AM CDT.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google Maps didn't help much, but it looks like you'd have to be pretty close to the track for a good view. Are there Grandstands there for some elevation?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Can't have any cleverness going on in F1. Oh no, let's make a bunch of incredibly complex rules to box everyone in to an almost unmanageable set, then expect nobody to find ways to exploit engineering opportunities in that rule set.

Engineering challenges and one-upmanship in F1? What is the world coming to? Oh, the humanity!!!

BINGO! Please see my 4/9 post re this very same issue.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Google Maps didn't help much, but it looks like you'd have to be pretty close to the track for a good view. Are there Grandstands there for some elevation?

Yeah we got grandstand seats. A little higher than halfway up, with aisle seats.

Last year, we were about halfway between aisles, pretty crowded on race day.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looks like y'all get Mars and Spears for concerts this year.

Meh. by the end of a day of walking around much of the track F and S, no energy or time for that. Sunday wraps up late enough we've headed back, but the idea of balancing the exodus with a concert is a good one.

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like y'all get Mars and Spears for concerts this year.

Meh. by the end of a day of walking around much of the track F and S, no energy or time for that. Sunday wraps up late enough we've headed back, but the idea of balancing the exodus with a concert is a good one.

Yep, we bailed prior to the S Wonder concert last year, but hung around for the J Timberlake show on Saturday.
Probably do the same this year.

Hopefully we'll walk a little less than a marathon this year.
Last year it was a mile from the truck to the gate & another mile from the gate to our seats. 12 miles just to our seats & back each day. Plus general walking around between sessions.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Did they not show quali, or was it just labeled something different that my series recording missed?

eta - apparently never re-broadcast?

Verrrry frustrating.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they not show quali, or was it just labeled something different that my series recording missed?

Verrrry frustrating.

I noticed it wasn't in my record queue, and figured it was on a channel YouTubeTV doesn't have. Will have to catch the highlight reel on YouTube.

posted Hide Post
I DVR'd it as usual, and also as usual this year, ESPN screwed it up, cutting off a few seconds after Quali ended.

Vettel, I think, has pole, Hamilton shares Row 1, beyond that I guess I may find out tomorrow.

If there had been any red-flag delays, ESPN would have missed the third session completely. I wonder if F-1 is regretting the switch to ESPN? Four races in and they still can't get it right.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Found on YouTube, of course that will be deleted any moment....

I really hate the screaming WWE announcer. A lot.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Maybe my favorite street course in an open wheel series, at least for actual racing. Monaco with its history and spectacle has to top the list, no racing notwithstanding.

I think I heard them right when they said this was last year's fifth easiest track to pass on (in 2017 Bottas started a lap down, finished second). Beautiful old style Euro architecture except for wide shots showing a couple of skyscrapers looking like something out of a scifi movie. What has to be the narrowest switchback leading to the steeply elevated section that opens up to huge straight blast to the finish.

Long laps and probably a long race with safety cars almost guaranteed. I think this is going to be fun.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:

Verrrry frustrating.

My DVR missed the series auto-record, too. Mad

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mad
Turned on to watch the race, ESPNews isn't broadcasting until 630pm.
On the grid recorded, but the race is delay broadcast?

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It was on ESPN 2 live this a.m.
As for the race, not a spoiler, jeez... Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
It was on ESPN 2 live this a.m.
As for the race, not a spoiler, jeez... Frown

Agreed. Definitely worth making certain you see it!

Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one tired of seeing constant shots of Jos Verstappen and the rest of the family pretty much any time they mention Max or show his car? Enough already! It makes me think of Max as a 12 year old. (not his fault I know)

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Lots of stories today.
For the second year, Vettel shot himself in the foot but still collected some decent points.
Kimi should have been there to pick up the pieces but couldn't. Still ended up second.
The track and city is a very unique place but they need to be able to pick up cars quicker and clean up debris better.
Max. I'm not sure where to start or finish. Clearly a talent behind the wheel and in front of the press but the other guys are pretty good too. Crashing a lot in your first year at a young age is understandable but he needs to find a a way to clean up his act without loosing speed. Crashing into your team mate twice, and others regularly, isn't making any new fans. A real test of Christian Horner's management skills. With all those great passes, when is the last time Riccardo took someone out?
Lewis Hamilton isn't having a very good start according to most, and yet finds himself leading the championship after this race. Young Max, take note.
Bottas drove a steady race and should have won and pure bad luck took him out.
Lots of other unforced errors today. Grosjean's crash behind the pace car stands out including blaming Eriksson who was about 100 yards behind him at the time.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/photos/...YC7f9ltDrMJ7Y0k77ssP

Max's dilemma.

{if someone pointed me toward thread on posting pics from Amazon, wouldn't break my heart - can't find it. The thread, not the heart.}

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gutted at the result. As a Bottas fan, it sucked to see that happen.