SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Actually my takeaway is that it was more car than driver - the Chinstrap mystique is less shiny today than it was yesterday.

He can be replaced and Merc can do well.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
This was Russel. Look at Albon vs. Verstappen, Albon can’t find his ass with hands in the same car. Bottas wasn’t up to Russel’s level for the drive, despite being in that seat for years.

Yeah, Lewis got to where he is in large part to the car, but today’s drive was all Russel and pretty impressive at that.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This is pure speculation.
Lewis likely would have questioned the decision to pit at the full course caution due to track position and tire condition, given his years of experience. Out front they probably would have been fine.
Without the pitstop the Mercedes would have likely finished in the top two places (the puncture, who knows).
We'll never know. That's what they may have been missing.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Maybe not verbatim "George, it looks like you have a puncture..."

"looks like"? What is that, understated British politeness and empathy? You have a puncture or you don't.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Most fun watching an F1 race in quite some time. Sorry for both Russell and Bottas for the Charlie Foxtrot that was AMG-MB’s pit stops

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Absolutely, I was reminded why I watch. I was totally involved. And that's why I'm so bitter and cynical about the absurd results.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Albon is definitely gone after this year with Perez winning and Albon saying over the air, "We're faster, but we can't get past them."

Toto Wolff says it's unlikely that Russell and Bottas will trade spots since both have contracts with their respective teams. I think they're hoping Lewis gets back for Yas Marina so Russell doesn't win by Lewis Hamilton lengths.

And finally, can we please run this version of Bahrain instead of the other one? This one was actually exciting, fun to watch, and unpredictable.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely a crazy race.

Verstappen, wrong place, wrong time. Completely innocent in that incident.

Perez, luckiest guy on the grid. From last to first

MB, WTF. Bottas likely would've finished higher on fresher tires, but Russell was lighting it up all weekend. If not for the puncture, he likely would've won it.
Glad GR got his first points & hoping LH is still out for Abu Dhabi so GR gets a real shot at a win.

My guess, is that GR is in the MB for '22 or '23 depending on the LH/VB contracts. IIRC, VB is only under contract for '21 & LH is out of contract after this year (hasn't signed anything for next year & beyond).

Hoping Perez steals the RBR seat from Albon. He definitely deserves a drive for next year.

Sounding like Kvyat may be out next year as well, in favor of Tsunoda at AT.

Anyone think Schumacher makes his debut at Haas this weekend, now that the F2 championship is decided & Grosjean has confirmed he will not be in the car?

Also saw that Toto has offered Grosjean a drive in the MB at pre-season (I think) testing, as a farewell gift. Never been a Grosjean fan, but hate to see him potentially end his F1 career this way.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Never been a Grosjean fan, but hate to see him potentially end his F1 career this way.

Still, as such, "The Phoenix" gets to exit F1 as a memorable part of the series' history. And live to tell about it.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Here's something to add to the suck for Russell:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...ght-cockpit/4922434/

Bruised Russell fears fatigue after squeezing into Mercedes

George Russell expects his Mercedes Formula 1 debut in the Sakhir Grand Prix to be “quite a fatiguing race” considering his struggles fitting into the cockpit of Lewis Hamilton’s car.
Russell is having to squeeze into the W11 that has been optimised around Hamilton, who is four inches shorter, and is wearing race boots that are one size too small to help the situation.

He is also having issues with the clutch paddles on the Mercedes steering wheel being too small for his hands – although the team is understood to have made some modifications to help with this.

After qualifying second behind temporary teammate Valtteri Bottas for Sunday’s grand prix, Russell explained how the cockpit issues might impact him during the race.

He said: “I’m very bruised and sore and it’s going to be quite a fatiguing race if you’re not comfortable in the car.

“I had ice on my shoulders last night to reduce some swelling and what have you, and knees [and] toes.”

As far as Grosjean, he won't be making the trip to Abu Dhabi. He's going back to Switzerland to heal up. Pietro Fittipaldi will still be in the Haas for the race.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...return-haas/4922331/

Grosjean has already said that he would like to complete a private F1 test at the earliest opportunity to ensure his time in the series does not end with his accident.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff confirmed on Saturday that he would be willing to accommodate such a test should no other team be working with Grosjean.

Given the timing, it probably won't be the "Young Driver's Test" that Fernando Alonzo will be driving the Renault/Alpine F1 car depending when the name change goes through.

Haven't heard anything about Kyvat, but the guy has been on borrowed time ever since they still have a Riccardo-sized hole blown in their driver program. Still a little bummed they got a hold of Pato O'Ward a little too late to get him a Super License. He'd be hell on wheels in a Red Bull or AlphaTauri.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Finally had time to watch last night. Wow.

When is the last time MB made a boneheaded move like that? Just incredibly bad timing for GR. And yes, please oh please let LH still be out all week!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, not only is Haas’ new son-of-a-Russian-billionaire pay driver someone who’s just one penalty point shy of a race ban in F2, he’s also apparently a groper.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/...al-matter-internally

Stay classy, Haas. Money forgives all sins.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...r5s&feature=emb_logo

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It's looking like Little Lew Lew is back this weekend. Frown

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
After what Russell did last week, he couldn't risk losing any worshippers.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
It's looking like Little Lew Lew is back this weekend. Frown

Boo!

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That’s too bad. Wanted to see GR race again.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, when Kimi retires, it looks like he has a second career as a fireman.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only 3rd for Lewlew today.
Glad Bottas had the better of him.

Hoping Bot can outdo him tomorrow too. He needs to beat Max too to secure 2nd in the WDC.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Only 3rd for Lewlew today.
Glad Bottas had the better of him.

Hoping Bot can outdo him tomorrow too. He needs to beat Max too to secure 2nd in the WDC.

Unfortunately, in the ranking of who’s most likely to choke, Bottas is above either Max or Hammy. I don’t see him getting past Max on track.