SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" Cancelled Despite Decent Ratings, Was It His Politics?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" Cancelled Despite Decent Ratings, Was It His Politics? Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Of course it was political. ABC would much prefer to push the "family values" of Modern Family.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Until this thread, I had never heard of the show. I find current TV sitcoms are written and produced for a different type of individual.

So......last night we watched the first 3 episodes on Netflix.

It's not Home Improvement but I actually laughed a few times.....and a few times is more than I would laugh as a week's worth of current network sitcoms.

Tim Allen makes the show and I could see myself in him when he got his grandson kicked out of preschool.

Keep leaning right, Tim.

Mike
If you keep watching, try to hold fast through season two. That season is just generally pretty bad. Lotta Ryan/Tim political clashes. They were really trying to straddle the political fence, and it wasn't working. I remember being totally shocked that it got renewed for a 3rd season. But then it seemed to continually improve after that.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My wife watches this show. I recall some loudmouthed little twat on the show running her suck about how much money Mit Romney has. I can tolerate that shit for slighty less than one second.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My wife watches this show. I recall some loudmouthed little twat on the show running her suck about how much money Mit Romney has. I can tolerate that shit for slighty less than one second.

That would be the oldest daughter, who is the show's liberal along with her idiot libtard husband (think 2010's version of All In The Family's Meathead) who work hard to drive Mike Baxter, the conservative father (played by Tim Allen), crazy.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Of course it was political. ABC would much prefer to push the "family values" of Modern Family.

'Modern Family' is one of the most watched shows among the 18-49 demographic, which is the one advertisers covet most. 'LMS' viewership draws an older crowd.

If Hollywood were so out to get Tim Allen, how did 'LMS' last six seasons to begin with? When you have show whose plotlines revolve around homelife w/ the parents and children, it's hard to keep it going after the all or most of the kids get older and move out. I don't know how 'Two and a Half Men' did it after the kid moved out. Family Ties, Cosby Show, Roseanne, Home Improvement, Malcolm in the Middle... When the kids go, so does the show.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
of course it was

why would you ever think anything different of ABC

it wasn't a 'scheduling issue', it was about not wanting to provide entertainment to 50% of the country that might possibly enjoy watching Tim Allen

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I suspect they are being cheap. They didn't want to renegotiate the actor's contracts and after six years they have enough for syndication.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
I think it's a bad decision and most likely political. I believe it has a season or two left in it. On the other hand, 'Home Improvement' really dropped off in quality in seasons 7 and 8. I would hate to see that for 'Last Man Standing' as it really has had a great run.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I suspect they are being cheap. They didn't want to renegotiate the actor's contracts and after six years they have enough for syndication.

-Tom

Contracts are typically seven years. It was demographics or politics.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Word now is that since Fox owns the show, it may move to that network and stay alive. They are also looking at streaming solutions.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I saw this yesterday, I doubt it will make much difference but it will make you feel better and at least let them know...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...ops-100k-signatures/

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Word now is that since Fox owns the show, it may move to that network and stay alive. They are also looking at streaming solutions.

Fox owns an ABC show?

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I saw this yesterday, I doubt it will make much difference but it will make you feel better and at least let them know...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...ops-100k-signatures/

Over 250,000 signatures now.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Fox owns an ABC show?

'LMS' is owned and produced by 20th Century Fox Television, which is related to but an independent entity from the FOX network. 20th CF TV licensed the show to ABC. Each successive season, ABC and 20th CF TV would negotiate a new season contract. After each season, 20th CF TV would negotiate a higher licensing fee, b/c if the show is a proven hit, then you should be willing to pay more for it, right? Each successive season, the show also becomes more expensive to produce, b/c the actors want pay raises. Tim Allen alone was making ~$240K/episode.

After six seasons, ABC decided the ad revenue from the LMS didn't justify its expense, and they would rather take a gamble w/ a new in-house ABC-produced show. That's another big reason. ABC doesn't make any money from syndication, internet streaming, etc. All that goes to 20th CF TV, b/c again, they own the show. ABC licensed it.

It's all a lot more complicated than 'Hollywood hates Republicans.' As I posted before, if someone else thinks LMS is worth the licensing fee 20th CF TV is asking, it will be picked up. Could be FOX, TNT, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
ABC stated they are dropping comedies on Fridays. LMS was the #2 rated comedy on ABC behind Modern Family and the #3 rated scripted show behind Grey's Anatomy and Modern Family. Scripted being the key word. TV has fallen in love with reality shows because they can garner ratings and demos with very low production costs.

Yeah, we need more reality shows.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Fox owns an ABC show?

'LMS' is owned and produced by 20th Century Fox Television

Aha, got it!

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We've been watching this for a week on Netflix. Just starting season 3. This is good TV - even without the political undercurrent. The writing is excellent as is the cast.

This is a model used so many times - Smart, funny dad, knockout wife, crazy kids, a dumb guy, and a few random folks to feed the frenzy.

Think Home Improvement and Newhart.

I never heard of this show until last week and now will miss it?????

Gotta make sense at some level.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
'LMS' is owned and produced by 20th Century Fox Television, which is related to but an independent entity from the FOX network. 20th CF TV licensed the show to ABC. Each successive season, ABC and 20th CF TV would negotiate a new season contract. After each season, 20th CF TV would negotiate a higher licensing fee, b/c if the show is a proven hit, then you should be willing to pay more for it, right? Each successive season, the show also becomes more expensive to produce, b/c the actors want pay raises. Tim Allen alone was making ~$240K/episode.

After six seasons, ABC decided the ad revenue from the LMS didn't justify its expense, and they would rather take a gamble w/ a new in-house ABC-produced show. That's another big reason. ABC doesn't make any money from syndication, internet streaming, etc. All that goes to 20th CF TV, b/c again, they own the show. ABC licensed it.

It's all a lot more complicated than 'Hollywood hates Republicans.' As I posted before, if someone else thinks LMS is worth the licensing fee 20th CF TV is asking, it will be picked up. Could be FOX, TNT, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I agree it was a business decision.
I can't fault them for that.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post