SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Could American History X be made today??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could American History X be made today?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Got my media server up and running again so going back and watching the movies I own again. Tonight’s film, American History X came out in 1998 and is a great movie if you have not seen it.

If you have seen it, could it be made today?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I think so. Derek comes good in the end. But we see what he pays for his previous behavior and cult. But I guarantee some language would be changed because it would “trigger” the young folk who have skin made of glass.

I saw it opening night in the theater. Norton was excellent and later I found out about the drama with the director and how ol’ Ed basically finished the film himself acting as the director.

My favorite was Torry. Great role for him, he nailed it. Loved his character.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Edward Norton killed that role. Top ten film for me for sure. Great flic.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
That movie actually shows what real racism is, so no.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I'd say yes. That was the 1st film I saw Norton in, I was impressed, as stated, he nailed that role.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Almost certainly not. A film with a sympathetic point of view towards a man with a swastika tatooed on his chest who curb-stomped a black man. That ain't happenin' these days.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No. The film treats racism as a learned behavior, as something that can be incited in disaffected youth to lead them astray, something the main character overcomes. That is all anathema to the current narrative, by points:

That racism is something ingrained to the core of only white people, other races are incapable of it, and no white person can ever truly overcome their racism as they can never even fully understand it. There is no Derek Vinyard redemption in the 2020's.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post