SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I must have been living under a rock, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I must have been living under a rock, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

I had never (before yesterday) heard of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and his rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. My wife considers this to be the best ever version of this song, and I agree. Israel's voice is something to be experienced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Things I learned from Mark Steyn and his fascination with the process of writing and recording popular songs:

Israel got inspired by the song late in the day and called up his pal at a recording studio. His friend said he was leaving for the day but if Israel wanted to spend 45 minutes putting something on tape, sure, come on down.

That’s about all the time Israel spent… no second or third takes… and you’ll note he gets the lyrics jumbled right off the bat. No time to correct that either.

But, lightning in a bottle, it’s a moving rendition of a classic.

Loved hearing it again.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1630 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
That cover is frequently used in movie, TV, commercials, etc, so yes, you've been under a rock.

Posts: 3257 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Dude died way too young at age 38 weighing ~700 lbs back in 1997.

This rendition of his has been widely viewed and heard. Not sure how you could have missed it. Rock indeed! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16507 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my wife's favorites.
We played it at her celebration of life - not a dry eye in the crowd.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
He achieved immortality with that song.

It's in my music library and I enjoy it every time I hear it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5514 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
That cover is frequently used in movie, TV, commercials, etc, so yes, you've been under a rock.

Finding Forrester being the most notable, and it was used, or I should say, timed, perfectly in the film. Just happens to be one of my favorite films of all time. Sean Connery as his finest.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've noted before: I knew his widow a little bit. She continued to work as an EKG tech at the Kaiser Moanalua hospital in Honolulu. She was a quiet, small, pleasant lady, you would never know she was worth millions and didn't have to work.

Posts: 18343 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Welcome out from under the rock, sir! There is a whole wide world of great things out there, like this song. Enjoy exploring! Ya it is a great song and the haven’t heard it in a little while so glad to hear it again.

I like the Somewhere Over the Rianbow / What a Wonderful World version
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2540 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post