SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "What in the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"What in the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
"I aim to kill you with it."

Southern Gothic

Now, ol' Doyle, aside from being an abusive asshole, a shitty musician, and ignorant enough to refer to a hearse as a 'hearst', well, he wasn't aware of the reason Karl got locked up for so long and as a result, he didn't get to finish his beer.

Notice how the shot is far above eye level, fly-on-the-wall style. No closeups, no edits, and none required. Rather unusual for a Hollywood production.

Each final scene the main characters of the film share with Karl ends the same way- "Karl?"

I love the hard blink Thornton makes after the second strike. The character is fully aware of what he's done and what it means for him and for others. Superb craftsmanship.

Posts: 107617 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I never saw that. Holy shit, it's intense!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You've never seen Sling Blade? It's one of the best American films of the 1990s. Of course, it's now kinda spoiled for you, though the path the film takes to get to this climax is still worth seeing.

Just to be clear, Karl Childers is the hero of the film.

The Jim Jarmusch cameo is funny.

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s hard to believe someone hasn’t seen Sling Blade so many great lines.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Kaiser blade as he calls it.

Great film, John Ritter was great in that along with most of the cast.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome film,
So many get caught up in only one story.
When there are many.

Movies with multiple stories that I have to watch five times are great.

I watched Angel and the Badman,
Six times before I got the whole thing.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Great movie. One of Billy Bob Thornton's best, and he's been in some damn good ones.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
You've never seen Sling Blade? It's one of the best American films of the 1990s. Of course, it's now kinda spoiled for you, though the path the film takes to get to this climax is still worth seeing.

It's now on my list!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thorntons best role. If you get the chance, catch him in A Simple Plan. Its a great Thornton role, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I still have a hard time believing Doyle is played by Dwight Yoakam. He looks nothing like his country music stage presence. His acting is quite a good and as far as I know this is his only film which is surprising.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I still have a hard time believing Doyle is played by Dwight Yoakam. He looks nothing like his country music stage presence. His acting is quite a good and as far as I know this is his only film which is surprising.

He's been in dozens of films and TV. His most recent that come to mind are Cry Macho with Clint Eastwood and the show Goliath with none other than Billy Bob.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although not for everyone the soundtrack/score from Daniel Lanois is great.

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every now and then, an actor transcends his own persona; this is the case with Billy Bob Thornton in this film. There are many actors who are good at playing various forms of themselves, few are able to make you forget who they really are.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I flew a flight with Billy Bob Thornton onboard. I got up to say bye to the folks and as luck would have it the line got jammed up and he was right there in front of me so we talked for a minute. Honestly I am not a Hollywood follower but I’d heard enough to think he was a nutbag. Maybe he is but for that short conversation he was very nice and seem very salt of the Earth.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Robert Duvall is in the movie, too, for a brief appearance, as Karl's crazy father.

Memorial Day, 1996, I was in Atlanta Hartsfield airport waiting for a friend to arrive. I was with my then girlfriend, now wife. I looked over and saw this guy with his back to us about 25 feet away. I said "That looks like the back of Robert Duvall's head." She giggled because, yeah, I guess it was a funny thing to say, but I was serious, and sure enough, he turned around and started to walk past us. As he approached, I said "Mr. Duvall." I think he was trying to catch a connecting flight and I could tell he didn't want to be noticed, because he responded but it was literally out the side of his mouth. He said "Hey, how ya doin'?" looking for all the world like he was trying to keep it on the down low.

I left it at that. I surely wanted to talk to him but he was busy.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Dwight Yoakum almost steals the show from Thornton. That cast was stacked top to bottom. J.T. Walsh had a great small role as well.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bible says two men ought not to lay together.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All right den.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't quit your day job, Karl.

Reminds me of Tommy Chong trying to repeat Cheech Marin's joke: "I'm gonna turn this glass into a dick."

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A great film, anyone who hasn't seen it is missing something unique. I agree it is his best role. Bad Santa should have got him that Oscar though.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post