SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix - Blade Runner the final cut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix - Blade Runner the final cut Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Just dropped on instantwatcher.

On the netflix page it says Ebert praised it, and I found this review.

excerpt:

Ridley Scott has released a "definitive version" subtitled "Blade Runner: The Final Cut," which will go first to theaters and then be released Dec.18 in three DVD editions, including a "Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition" that includes, according to a press release, "All 4 Previous Cuts, Including the Ultra-Rare 'Workprint' Version!" plus the usual deleted scenes, documentaries, bells and whistles.

The biggest change Scott made in earlier versions was to drop the voice-over narration from the 1982 original. Spoken by Ford, channeling Philip Marlowe, it explained things on behalf of a studio nervous that we wouldn't understand the film. Since much of the interest in the film has been generated by what we weren't sure we understood, that turned out to be no problem. The ending has been tweaked...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I have the boxed set and every version is good, although I’m one of those weirdos that prefers the theatrical version. Smile

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same camp as JSW (to include the Voight-Kampff box set). Ideally, I'd like the voiceover with the audio/visual improvements of TFC. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I liked the voice-overs by Deckard, it added to whole sci-fi noir thing the movie had going on.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
another box set owner (neat little breifcase with DVD's etc)

I'll watch any version,, like em all

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I liked the original, with the narration, the only thing I didn’t like was the happy ending the studio insisted on, it seemed tacked on to me. I would have preferred a more ambiguous end, maybe show Deckard and Rachel leaving his apartment and leave it at that, being uncertain of their future. Sort of like real life.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really liked Blade Runner for many years. I thought it was little more than a 1940s style detective movie in a futuristic setting.

However, the non-narrative version where Deckard was himself a replicant changed the whole story. I thought it was great twist on the story

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I have never gotten into the remakes and edits.... I watched the original on my birthday when it first came out and I was so stunned by it that I sat there and watched it again.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1992 I saw the opening night of the 10-year re-release of my favorite movie, Blade Runner, at the massive DC Uptown theater. My first time watching it on the big screen.

The lines to get in twisted around the block.

In 2007, I went back to the Uptown to see the Final Cut opening night, and there was no line. The theater might have been 25% full. I accept to Final Cut as the definitive version. I do have the little brief case with all the various versions and documentaries.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've seen the theatrical cut and one other that didn’t have the voiceover narration but knew that Ridley Scott wasn't truly happy with any of them and for many years, it was rumored that he would release some sort of "Ultimate Cut" once contracts and rights to the film, etc. ran out. I could be mistaken, but that's what I remember being told in the late 90's. I look forward to watching this one.

For what it's worth, I liked the theatrical cut a lot, but after seeing the other one, I find the narration in the theatrical is jarring and unnecessary, and I like the ending in the other one better. Less fairy tale "happily ever after" and more in line with the morality of the film: ambiguous at best. I’m now not sure at all which other version I saw, I had though it was called the Final Cut, but honestly, I’m kind of confused now. I think I’ve seen three different endings to the film at this point.

Still need to see Blade Runner 2049. Maybe I'll watch this cut on Netflix and then rent 2049.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
US Theatrical - voice over, happy ending
Euro Theatrical - voice over, happy ending, eye gouge blood fountain. LOL
Director's Cut - no voice over, no happy ending
Final Cut - no voice over, no happy ending, amped up sound, amped up visuals (to include fixing the tranny crashing through plate glass when Zora gets it).

I don't count the work print as a version. LOL

2049 is awesome, especially (IMHO) visually. It really looks like a world winding down to entropy.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have to admit I have never gotten into the remakes and edits.... I watched the original on my birthday when it first came out and I was so stunned by it that I sat there and watched it again.

I too sat through two showings when the theatrical version first came out and when it came out on vhs I grabbed a copy and watched it often. Later I saw the Directors Cut and Final Cut. The Final Cut is my favorite even though I kinda enjoyed the voice over. I saw the original enough that I hear the voice over in my head when I watch the Final cut. Razz

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Just watched Final Cut. I like this version. "Father" instead of "fucker." The scene with the unicorn and the ending.

The Tannhauser Gate monologue hit me pretty hard this go-round, after Rutger Hauer's passing this past year.

My only criticism: It was pretty obvious where certain scenes were added or changed because of the noticeable changes in the background ambient audio. There was a very obvious one at the end right after Roy Batty dies. Probably most people won't care, but I'm really tuned in to that kind of stuff.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you have an Amazon Firestick you can download the IMDB app and watch Blade Runner 2049 for free with about a half dozen commercial breaks. I just finished it. I really liked it and felt like it was well done. I'll have to get a copy.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Dang it.. now I think I have to go check and see which version I have on DVD and probably watch it today....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
If you have an Amazon Firestick you can download the IMDB app and watch Blade Runner 2049 for free with about a half dozen commercial breaks. I just finished it. I really liked it and felt like it was well done. I'll have to get a copy.

it's an excellent sequel

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Watched the version on Netflix for the umpteenth time followed by my new 4k disc of 2049 for the fist time last night. They really flowed together and I enjoyed them tremendously.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
^ That’s what I want to do. 2049 right after the Final Cut would be awesome.