SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I miss Charles Kuralt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I miss Charles Kuralt Login/Join 
posted
Could there ever be another show like his?

He made me feel like the world was for the most part pretty ok.

Not fabulous, not horrible.

Just pretty ok if !
You took the time to look around

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A good show, like comfort food.

I also miss the playful columns of Art Buchwald.

I also miss the witty books of Leo Rosten.

I also miss erudite broadcasts of Alistair Cooke.

I also miss the humor of the Dean Martin Roasts.

I also miss the wry wisdom of Lin Yutang.

You had the feeling someone somewhere knew that flowers were blooming in the bullshit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I miss Paul Harvey.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved Charles Kuralt. It appears that he had relationships outside of his marriage. I never would have figured it for him, but heck he traveled a lot. I miss Walter Cronkite as well.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I miss Andy Rooney.

And William F.Buckley.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George43,

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I miss Andy Rooney

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. The original curmudgeon.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Canada I always watched This Week with David Brinkley

I then read one of his books - Washington Goes to War - and I heard the words in his voice

I used to think that George Will was pretty smart and that Sam Donaldson was an idiot

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I loved Charles Kuralt. It appears that he had relationships outside of his marriage. I never would have figured it for him, but heck he traveled a lot. I miss Walter Cronkite as well.

I thought Charles and his wife were swingers, at least I thought he was the guy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wingfoot,

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do to. I enjoyed Sunday Mornings as a kid and especially when he was on the road.
The guy from Nebraska was cool too.
Had a neighbor who went to school with him.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lyle Wagner he wasnt

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss Huntley and Brinkley - and that was a long, long time ago.

I figure they were the last “reporters” that reported the news, didn’t try to convince you their slant was the truth. So many since then either push their slant or talk to you like you are a 6th grade graduate.

“Good Night Chet”.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Kuralt wrote a pretty good book. It made me want to travel to some of the places. He spent a month of the year at a different location.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Kuralt wrote a pretty good book. It made me want to travel to some of the places. He spent a month of the year at a different location.

I have that book but I haven’t seen it in quite some time. I think it was called “My Life on the Road.” If you miss Kuralt then you should hunt down a copy. I’d offer mine but it was a present my mom bought for my grandfather the year he died at Christmas. She gave it to me the next year with a message explaining why she gave it to me.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well worth a look....
https://reelrundown.com/tv/The...fe-of-Charles-Kuralt

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles Kuralt's Sunday Morning shows were gems. He seemed to be able to live his double life easier than I would think possible to do.
I also miss Edward R. Murrow's Person to Person show. They were memorable as well as his prophetic assessment of television, which I quote: “Television in the main is being used to distract, delude, amuse and insulate us.” Edward R. Murrow, 1958

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too liked watching Kuralt's show, though my connection with his passing was probably more personal than for most others, since I suffer from the same ailment that ultimately took him from this earth. I had been diagnosed with lupus only a few years before his death and was going through some rough patches in controlling the disease at the time. It didn't do my psyche much good back then when I found out how he died.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post