SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Karen Carpenter - one of the best female singers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karen Carpenter - one of the best female singers Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
When the Carpenters were at their peak of popularity in the early to mid 1970's, I didn't appreciate them. There was too much other good music happening that I didn't have room for them. Took some time to listen to much of her work lately and now understand what all the hype was about. I can't believe how precise her singing is. She was on all the time, even live. Her brother said she would nail performances during recording sessions in one take. In biopics it is said she sang very quiet, barely above a whisper, and that the microphone and amplification just loved her.

Her brother was an amazing musician, and he featured her singing well. I get a little tired of the bubble gum nature of the instruments and of his excellent but pervasive keyboards. Her voice is the show and I wish there was recordings of her singing with other players and styles.

Their rendition of "Ticket to ride" is number 5 on this greatests hit album and is really excellent. Who today is better than her? I think she is better than Carrie Underwood, and more consistent during live peformances than Celine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqNAbMWM2B8

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yes she was extremely talented but also very troubled person and I adore many of her songs.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Her voice even today takes me back to some of my fondest memories and best of times. Though I was mostly into the rock scene of the times, her voice was like an angel and will never be forgotten by me.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Her voice even today takes me back to some of my fondest memories and best of times.

Yes indeed. During their peak, I was in the 8-13 age range and I really liked them. I remember watching them on all the variety shows on TV and of course, hearing them on the radio. Some really good times in my life. Back then, I didn't realize just how good her voice was; I just knew that I liked her singing. Listening to some of the songs at the posted link really took me back in time. So sad that she met such a tragic end.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who today is better than her? I think she is better than Carrie Underwood, and more consistent during live peformances than Celine.

Florence Welch

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Yes she was extremely talented but also very troubled person and I adore many of her songs.

I started that video but I could not click it to stop until it ended by itself. such a beautiful voice made haunting by knowing her tragedy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Carpenter's, as cheesy as some of their music sounds today. were very, very good. The music still stands up when the mood strikes. I was fortunate enough to see them once in concert. Redwood City, at the Circle Star Theater, probably 1974 or 1975.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere....probably here, that she was also an unusually good drummer. Like REALLY good!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was working in a Record Store in the mid-seventies when their stuff was coming out.
It was selling like crazy but "not cool" to everyone in my age group back then.
Now, I recognize the talent albeit lost way too soon.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truly a one of a kind voice.

She died way too young.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I read somewhere....probably here, that she was also an unusually good drummer. Like REALLY good!

She considered herself the group's drummer who also did the singing.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:
Who today is better than her? I think she is better than Carrie Underwood, and more consistent during live peformances than Celine.

Florence Welch

I don’t know, I haven’t listened to her in a long time and the Carpenters weren’t my taste. Are these women “better?” Maybe. Beth Hart, Danielle Parente, Melody Gardot, possibly Julie Roberts, and although her career goes back to the time of The Carpenters, she’s still active today—Emmylou Harris.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I was a closet fan in the 70s when I was a kid, and came out of the closet in the 80s. The Carpenters rule.

The following video from their live shows in Australia showcase their considerable live talents, particularly Karen Carpenter. She channels Levon Helm Wink. Karen Carpenter was truly talented. Awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AH6AheBSw

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who today is better than her?

Better in what way?

Voice? I don't think you'll find anyone today with a better vocal range and delivery than Karen Carpenter. I think the best way to describer her voice is angelic. It is near perfect. Not unlike Steve Perry on the male side. I don't think you can find someone to match his vocals.

Overall musical talent? I think that there are many who can compare to her.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Who today is better than her?

Better in what way?

Voice? I don't think you'll find anyone today with a better vocal range and delivery than Karen Carpenter. I think the best way to describer her voice is angelic. It is near perfect. Not unlike Steve Perry on the male side. I don't think you can find someone to match his vocals.

Overall musical talent? I think that there are many who can compare to her.

I didn't specify, I assumed her voice being so outstanding that I was talking about her singing. Great drummer, that's great, but her voice is so outstanding it doesn't really matter.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I was a closet fan in the 70s when I was a kid, and came out of the closet in the 80s. The Carpenters rule.

The following video from their live shows in Australia showcase their considerable live talents, particularly Karen Carpenter. She channels Levon Helm Wink. Karen Carpenter was truly talented. Awesome stuff.

This was the concert that showed me how outstanding she could sing live. She just nails everything so effortlessly.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember way back when there was a best drummer poll in Playboy magazine I believe and she ranked higher than John Bonham of Led Zeppelin which caused quite a stir LOL.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

I remember way back when there was a best drummer poll in Playboy magazine I believe and she ranked higher than John Bonham of Led Zeppelin which caused quite a stir LOL.

That's just Bonzo!

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
One of the things Karen Carpenter had going for her when comparing her singing with others, is that she didn't live beyond her prime years of singing. Many singers who perform pretty well later in life rely on lip sync and recorded fillers for notes they can't reliably hit anymore. Some singers never sang with any range and can continue to perform songs of their youth for a long time.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

This was the concert that showed me how outstanding she could sing live. She just nails everything so effortlessly.

Listen to her open the song at 8:00...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post